"Calibrating" MAFs

tjvineyard

Sandbagger
Established Member
I keep seeing people talking about a MAF being "calibrated" for a specific size injector. Am I missing something?

To make it as basic as possible, I thought a MAF measure airflow and converted that value to a specific voltage. The higher the airflow, the higher the voltage is (up to 5 volts or so).

A "recalibrated" MAF for more power just puts out a lower voltage at the same airflow to allow "more room" before reaching the top end (5 volts). The new SCTs max out at 2400 and 2700 kilograms per hour. You can use any injector with them, you just need to know the associated values for specific air flow levels.

The reason I ask is that I have a "Lightning" MAF that was reportedly "ported" by JDM and "calibrated for 55 lb injectors." JDM told me that they do not "calibrate" MAFs but they do clip the center vane to allow more airflow within the stock housing. This seems that it would have the same effect as placing the stock vane in a 95 mm housing, it just moves the upper end up (slightly more airflow before reaching 5 volts BUT the computer is unaware that readings are off so you are slightly leaner).

I suspect that, before the SCT MAFs, this was what JDM recommended with 55 lb injectors at around 500 HP. Does that sound right?

TJ

Users who are viewing this thread