Callin all 5.0ers

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Alright. Currently my car has a BBK cold air kit, BBK underdrive pulleys, ac and smog pump elim, proform electric fan, headers, off road H-pipe, flowmaster catback, subframe connectors, 245/60R15 Hoosier Quick Time Pros, 65mm BBK throttle body and 4:10 gears. I have an AOD. I have a couple of questions. Should I keep the AOD and put a shift kit and a convertor in it? will I lose my Overdrive with a shift kit? Or Should I buy the better, stronger C4 with the same mods? One last question in my quest for lower ET's I'm considering a intake and cam swap. I was wondering if the Trick Flow Street Heat and the E-303 are a good match. I will probably run in the mid to high 2000's for stall. Does this sound like a good combination until I can afford heads and a rebuild?

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
oh and concerning fuel. Will stock injectors with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator work good enough?

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Stock fuel injectors and pump will work fine. You're honestly probably not going to see more then 250 to the wheels since you're keeping stock heads. The trickflow intake would be a good buy if you plan on swapping to a set of HiPo heads in the near future. But you're not gonna get as much torque as you would with a cobra/gt-40 intake. E cam is fine for stock heads but ditch it as soon as you get new heads or change out the springs and everything.

If all you're looking for is lower ET's go with your stall/converter, a 100-125 shot and a 190-255lph fuel pump. On slicks you should be in the high 7's easily.

Blacksunshine

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTour99
Alright. Currently my car has a BBK cold air kit, BBK underdrive pulleys, ac and smog pump elim, proform electric fan, headers, off road H-pipe, flowmaster catback, subframe connectors, 245/60R15 Hoosier Quick Time Pros, 65mm BBK throttle body and 4:10 gears. I have an AOD. I have a couple of questions. Should I keep the AOD and put a shift kit and a convertor in it? will I lose my Overdrive with a shift kit? Or Should I buy the better, stronger C4 with the same mods? One last question in my quest for lower ET's I'm considering a intake and cam swap. I was wondering if the Trick Flow Street Heat and the E-303 are a good match. I will probably run in the mid to high 2000's for stall. Does this sound like a good combination until I can afford heads and a rebuild?

The AOD will work fine for a while. You will not lose your OD with a shift kit. As all a shift kit is, is a modification to the valve body creating more pressure/firmer shift. But when you get heads on there and making a considerable 300 whp. The AOD will need to be ditched or seriously built with a Lentech kit. I would swap to a 5-speed personally. The E303 camp works with anything, literally, I have seen so many different grinded cams, but for some reason the archaic technology of equal duration in the E303 makes it work with everything, so yes it will work, like poopnut said, injectors will work perfectly just get an AFPR. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. :rockon:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
what kind of et's will i be looking at also, sorry about all the questions. just want you to realize that this will be my first major hardware swap and i want to do it right the first time. thanks for all you help.

Coiled-up-GT

Careful with the Eyes...
Established Member
Keep the auto tranny and put a good stall in it, like the one from PI (a Stallion). Putting a shift kit will not take away your overdrive. C4's are better for racing, but it depends on how fast you really want to go and how much out of town driving you do. Go with the Holley Systemax and the E-cam sounds good too. I would go with the B-cam if I was using it for daily driving with a mild street setup. One thing to remember is, "good sticky tires yields good et's". Everyone always concentrates on engine mods and forget to stick it to the ground, like those LS1 guys :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread