Cam advice for the 95 Cobra

95 SVT

Established Member
Thinking about sticking in a Motorsports E cam in my 95. Currently I only have the usual bolt ons, pulleys, K&N, off-road h- pipe, 3.73 gears. I don't race, I just want to "move to the next level" without having to change a bunch of other stuff... so please, give me your opinons and advice.

Thanks

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I really like my e-cam in my car...took alot of tuning to get it to run good w/ the J4J1 computer. I'd wait and do the heads and cam at the same time. just my .02. Do you have subframes or have you upgraded the suspension or brakes at all? People always want to go faster, but forget about the chassis and stopping. Only asking cause my other 5.0's chassis' took alot of abuse from SCCA racing until I starting upgrading the chassis.

95 SVT

Established Member
Venomous,

No I haven't done any suspension upgrades, that is a good point. Sometimes I guess we forget about the rest of the car for the engine, example, my GTO went unpainted for the first 3 years because I kept pouring money into the engine. It was fast, but primer just kills the looks, ya' know. Anyway, I was considering getting some head work done at the same time, since it's gonna be in the shop anyway. Do you have subframe connectors and did you see a difference?

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I have a full suspension from maximum motorsports. ie front coilovers, panhard, loer cont arms, reg length subframes, roll cage, welded seams/tq boxes ect ect. They really help in keeping the car together as "one." They are really needed in the fox body cars. In my 91 after years of SCCA racing w/out chassis upgrades my doors wouldn't shut well and my rear floorpan under the rear seat was wrinkled and my tq. boxes were coming apart. Eventually I was hit by a drunk, but I started with my brakes, suspension and chassis on my 94'. Look at griggs or maximum motorsports, both companies stuff is very good. Just don't go for the cheap stuff. I love the quality and customer service from MM.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Its easier to do the head/cam swap at the same time. I changed my cam in my '95, and changing the heads would have taken very little time. But a suspension is a good idea too, i need to start working on that after i install my 3.73's and get it tuned.

DEMNSVT

Established Member
IF you really want go with a Steeda #19 cam they make a nice amount of power in a lightly modded 5.0s and they don't mess with their computers. Where in VA do you live? CUZ I got a friend with a 306 him and I built with the FMS E-cam and the intake mainfold is too big for car, but he still put 301hp and like 345tq to the ground, and the car had stock Throttle body and way too much fuel, it was running like 10.9:1 A/f, but yes you can make power with either, but I have heard the Steeda is a little bigger and makes slightly better power. But as everyone is saying, they are right to Invest in some subframes, and stiffen the chassis 1st before you go putting some power in it. I knew a young kid who build up a fox body for road racing didn't stiffen the chassis and bent the frame of the car with track tires on. So just remember, the sn95 do a little chassis stiffening before you can go putting big power down. IF you live near Northern, VA go to Excessive Motorsports and ask Chris, the big dude, to make you a custom set, they work well and only cost like $150 for everything. I have known many people that have had them done and they really make a huge differnce in the how car will launch and hold itself together better when putting it into turns and under braking. IT feel as if the entire was one not two pieces. I have seen more people bring by brand new Mustangs and get them the same day they buy the car. COnvertible mustangs need a set the day you drive it home, Believe me when I bought my Cobra it didn't have subframes on it and I had been used driving my other Mustangs that have subframes on them and it was a world differnce when I got them put on. OR lets put to this way the day I bought my 94 GT and 94 Cobra they both were there getting subframes put on them.
SOO GOOD LUCK AND FEEL FREE TO IM me, I have a clip of the car I built with the Ecam in it. IF you want to hear let me know. THE ECAM DOES HAVE nice lopey at idle, but the Steeda #19 is little more agressive at idle and sounds better at idle but it makes a nasty sound when u get that engine up above 4500rpm!
KEVIN

Last edited:

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Id say save and do a custom cam from FTI with a set of AFR Heads, you will be impressed. I hate Alphabet cams, but thats just me. For the same reason that you had to go to all that work tuning the car just to make it work with some 150 dollar stick!

95 SVT

Established Member
Demnsvt,

You make some good points, as far as where in VA I live, it's southwest Va, near the Martinsville Speedway. Not as many Mustang's around here anymore, mostly imports everywhere.

Jman20427, Ya know someone once told me he went with an "alphabet" cam, he switched to a Lunati because he said the Motorsports cam seemed to loose a lot of the hit after the car warmed up vs. the Lunati, you ever heard this rumor?

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
My buddy has an e-cam in his 92 lx and it sounds alot better than mine in my 94. I actually have been looking at Steeda's cam too, it has a larger lobe sep which works well with the J4J1 computer.

DEMNSVT

Established Member
I went out with a few buddies out for a little cruise the streets. The fasest of the group is highly built 347 95 Cobra with the steeda 19 cam. That thing sounds really mean. He switched from the FMS E-cam because of the higher lift that the Steeda has. He said he pciked up 6rwhp and 12rwtq more with the Steeda. ALso picked up .1tenth and 1mph in 1/4. After hearing this thing run it was like a wet dream. He said it has even punked out a new Viper cuz it sounded like a monster. The car is making a little over 375rwhp, but could easily do like 390rwhp with a custom cam. He drives car everyday, expect in the winter and has passed emission. Remember the cam is the life of the engine without the right cam, you will not make power. I am sold on the Steeda 19. Never heard anythign bad about the 19 either. Have heard of little trouble with idle roaming with the E-cam. Good Luck and enjoy. The factory Cobra cams are less aggressive then the GT cam! Remeber max lift on stock piston is 540 and remember most cam specs are with 1.6 rocker arms. If you have any questions ask e-mail me or pm me.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread