camshaft questions

89LX

Established Member
just installed a crane cams part #444231 cam on my stock 89 lx i mean stock everything except for the full exhaust. the started back firing thru the intake and it has no power car doesnt move at all. the firing order on my engine is 15426378 wich is the one for the older f150 truck do i need to replace my engine any input on this will be greatly apreciated.

94-427

Established Member
Th firing oder on your 5.0 HO is the same as a 351w the cam U are using is a diferant firing order use firing order for the year od the cam [truck]

89LX

Established Member
i did with the H.O. firing(13726548) order the car will misfire even worst than with the 15426378. im thinking the engine that i have on the car is either from an f150 or from a non H.O. car if so would the cam work still???

WillyB93

Established Member
Did you order the cam for a mustang motor or the truck motor???????? In my experience the non HO motors have lobes on the cam that are clocked different than the HO motors which changes the timing. Did you compare the clocking or the cams together before installing????

89LX

Established Member
retorqued the rocker arms from 18lbft tq to 20lbft tq and set firing order to H.O. motor (13726548) the car runs fine now i also replaced the ecm so i dont know if its the ecm or the rockers beeing a little loose, called summit racing and they told me the cam should work on both engines no with no problems since both of them are computer controlled. thanks for all your help guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread