Can SSR3 be too abrasive??

Hominator916

Established Member
This is really the first time I have looked in this forum and I have been reading a lot of information. I have never really used anything special on my car but I am noticing it is not looking so great lately and I know I have to put some work in.

I have searched and searched for this but I couldn't find an answer. Sorry if I sound stupid about this stuff but I am.
Question is, with the SSRs, is it possible to use one that is too abrasive for your car?

I cannot really judge what is considered "light" swirl marks. To me it seems pretty bad. Should I buy the most abrasive one? Is their any disadvantage to that? Meaning, can any harm come from using the strongest one? I don't want to use SSR1 and then have it not be strong enough.

Oh and I have an '98 Atlantic Blue Cobra..
Thank you any suggestions/tips would help. Sorry if this is a repost of some kind

2JZFAN

Established Member
I was thinking of using SSR3 but I was told to use menzerna intensive polish, after seeling the results of others on black ford's I know I'll be using menzerna products on my car.. check it out on autopia.org :beer:

Scott P

Established Member
SSR3 is pretty aggressive. You definitely need a machine, either a PC witha nothing stronger than a polishing pad or a rotary. I think SSR2.5 would be as big as you would want to go with a PC. It will get out those swirls. If using hand application, then go with SSR2.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
ive used SSR3 w/PC and it left a lot of hazing, i had to go over it with 2.5 to clear it back up. I got better results w/ no hazing from Mezerna IP

Scott P

Established Member
Personally, I've never really reached for SSR3. I'd rather stay with SSR2.5 and a cutting pad since it is a bit easier to use with a PC. Even with a polishing pad, SSR3 is strong enough to leave some hazing behind.

Hominator916

Established Member
also, I got hit a few months back and the passanger side had to be re painted. I let it breathe for the month of March. Does it needed to be treated differently than the rest of the car when it comes to products like these?

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread