Can you supe-up a V6 Mustang?

T'Cal

Established Member
Today, I drove a Torch Red '06 Mustang V6 Premium with the Pony Package and an automatic and was very impressed and very tempted. Having owned four new 5.0L GT/LX Mustangs during the 1980s and being the current owner of an '03 Marauder, it's unusual for me to consider anything but the most powerful engine available in a car. However, I like the V6 Pony Package's look, with its smaller driving lights and chrome trim in the grille, better than I do the GT's. While the 4.0L V6 lacked the deep, throaty V8 roar, it had a nice quiet rumble and its acceleration was very respectable. I've read that late-model V6 Mustangs return 0-60 times in 6.9 seconds and the quarter mile in the low 15s, which is right there with the powerful 5.0 Mustangs from the '80s and my stock Marauder.

My questions are:
1. Is there a high-performance chip available for 2006 V6/automatic models?
2. If so, what kind of improvements can be expected with it?
3. If anyone here has installed an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 model that sounds good, what brand/model muffler did you use?

MattP 343

Established Member
sure you can. Shelby is putting out a supercharger kit that makes about 350 to the wheels.

1. yes there is
2. about 10-15 to the wheels depending on tune
3. Ive heard magnaflow sounds pretty nice on the new 4.0s

Check out www.3.8mustang.com for more info on tricking out the 6er.

Trill Gear Head

Established Member
i own one and may i say you can get some nice numbers from this 4.0L beast. With all the basic bolt ons you should see 200whp- 240wtq.

for a tuner: get Demolet(CAI) & X-Cal2 tune from bamachips
poweradders: Vortech, Procharger, X-Charger(roots type blower), and Powerhouse(Only Turbo kit out). The Powerhouse V6 turbo'd car ran a high of 11.26 1/4 mile.

You can do alot to the new V6, its a torquy lil bastard.

T'Cal

Established Member
Trill Gear Head said:
i own one and may i say you can get some nice numbers from this 4.0L beast. With all the basic bolt ons you should see 200whp- 240wtq.

for a tuner: get Demolet(CAI) & X-Cal2 tune from bamachips
poweradders: Vortech, Procharger, X-Charger(roots type blower), and Powerhouse(Only Turbo kit out). The Powerhouse V6 turbo'd car ran a high of 11.26 1/4 mile.

You can do alot to the new V6, its a torquy lil bastard.

Thanks for the insights. Did you clock yours when it was stock? If so, what did you get? I saw an article in Motor Trend or Car & Driver that estimates for a V6 were 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.1 seconds. I don't know if that was for stick or automatic, though. I do recall reading that GT automatics were only 0.1 second slower 0-60 than stick models (5.2 vs. 5.1). Are the new five-speed automatics that much more efficient than the old four-speed AODs? Those things sucked the life out of the old 5.0 HOs.

Trill Gear Head

Established Member
I'm not sure about the stock automatics. But from what i hear once you get a good tune, change shift points and a CAI it really wakes up the 4.0L.

As for 1/4 mile times, 15.1 stock with a manual seems to be about right. 15.1-15.3 is a good guess as for stock. But if you easily run into the High-Mid 14.'s with a stick, CAI, Tune, sing axle-back muffler and pan han bar upgrade w/ street tires but not the stock ones. Stock tires suck. check out the 4.0L section on mustangforums.com Their will be more information than you can handle.

P.S. 2 people have the powerhouse turbo on that forum and the new v6 engine loves turbo's. As of now only a couple people have blown a seal but all where during hard launches at the track running either a 150-175 shot or running 12psi. so if you run 8 psi with a safe tune you would be fine. I plan on putting the X-Charger(roots MP90 blower) on it once i get the funds.

Users who are viewing this thread