Canadian Emissions?

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I am wondering what the emissions laws are like in Alberta. Also, are there any modification restrictions for street cars?

I am thinking about moving up to Calgary next year, and I'm just curious about if there are some different regulations on the car hobby we all enjoy.

cobra04svt

Pegasus
Established Member
Nothing like Cali people put on x pipes all the time. If you bringing you car you willl have to get a safety check on it within a month if you plan to stay. A lot of people drive american registared cars as long as they can without re registaring.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
cobra04svt said:
Nothing like Cali people put on x pipes all the time. If you bringing you car you willl have to get a safety check on it within a month if you plan to stay. A lot of people drive american registared cars as long as they can without re registaring.

Is that because the safety check is expensive? Or hard to pass?

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Safety check shouldn't be too bad. You will have to change some stuff on the car though I believe. You need daytime running lights and pretty sure you will need a KPH. You probably will have to have cats in for your initial inspection but after that you'll be fine. We don't have aircare or annual inspections so after that you can drive with no cats.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Thanks for your replies! I'm curious about this stuff, but it isn't going to affect my decision making process.

Special Blend said:
What is bringing you up here?

There are a couple of things. One is a possible job. Of course, if that doesn't work out I won't be making the move. The other is that I am looking for a city that has some music going on, and also has a signifigant chinese population (my wife is from Taiwan). I live in eastern Kentucky right now, and both of those things are in VERY short supply. It is pretty rural here - which is fine with me as long as I can choose to enjoy city living as well.

How do you like it in Alberta?

Thanks -
Steve

mags

Cobra Ink
Established Member
Take it to Canadian Tire for a saftey inspection($100). I took my 02 GT mustang there with no cats, and 5% tint, no problems. As long as there is no rust on exhaust or holes.

mags

Cobra Ink
Established Member
Alberta is rockin right now. Everyone is happy because money is flowing, lots of jobs, and Canada is a save place to live. I live in Mwdicine Hat just 3 hours east of calgary, great people through out the province

HOLLYWDHOMICIDE

Deadly Fast
Established Member
When you say to put on cats for emissions, is that for visual only, or do you do the sniffer test also???? Do they hook up anything to your car. I'am thinking about moving to Regina, SASK.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
The only place in Western Canada with Aircare is the lower mainland (Vancouver area) from what I know.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Sounds like Calgary is a nice place to live. I've been checking it out online. I have never been to Calgary. I have been to Toronto and Vancouver. Both of them were great.

Here in KY we have no emissions - we don't even have an inspection. All you have to do is register the car every year and pay some taes on the value of the car.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
CobraJazz said:
Sounds like Calgary is a nice place to live. I've been checking it out online. I have never been to Calgary. I have been to Toronto and Vancouver. Both of them were great.

Here in KY we have no emissions - we don't even have an inspection. All you have to do is register the car every year and pay some taes on the value of the car.

Yup that is basically the same as here. After your car has been registered and inspected you just have to pay a yearly registration fee.
Calgary is a good place I think. Mountains are really close for outdoor stuff like hiking, biking, skiing/snowboarding. Lots or nice areas for camping and fishing. Its a younger city with a lot of money, lots of stuff going on for sure.

042vgt

Established Member
Special Blend said:
The only place in Western Canada with Aircare is the lower mainland (Vancouver area) from what I know.

I'm jealous!!..lol. I live in Toronto and it's becoming just as bad as Cali for emissions. I find it harder to enjoy the hobby lately as compared to a few years back(not to mention the traffic and population increase over the last decade or so). Along with the regular police patrols, we also have emissions specific (ministry of transportation) types doing patrols as well. Enjoy the freedom out there guys!. :beer:

Last edited:

SVTContique

CobraJazz said:

Calgary is an AMAZING place to live, lots of stuff to do, lots of nice people. Mountains are right there, LOTS AND LOTS of money/jobs out there for the taking if you have the balls. Totally the place to be right now.

Users who are viewing this thread