Carbon Fiber Hood????

BenD

Established Member
Does anyone know if Carbon Fiber Hood is available for the '03. I can't find out if anyone is manufacturing them or who may be selling them. Usually if you look long enough you find some info, but this issue seems to be a dead end. SHM was selling them for a while, but no longer.

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
Yeah the place that I knew was SHM, but it was like 1500 bucks!! Your half way to a kenne bell with that kind of change. Call his shop and ask them where they got them from.

Randall

Established Member
There's a place in Santa Fe Springs, CA that sells the hood and trunk, I have the information at home and will put it here later today if you don't find it before then.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Yeah, I have a boring job, so I have some mustang mags lying around... I had remembered seeing it in my seraches.. I am debating the 281 saleen wing, and a steeda front splitter setup... haven't decided yet...

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Wow, 475 for the hood?? Thats a big difference from what SHM is offering. Guess the CF hood is back on my xmas list. :thumbsup:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by svtxchinoy
Wow, 475 for the hood?? Thats a big difference from what SHM is offering. Guess the CF hood is back on my xmas list. :thumbsup:

no kidding, that is a great price.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I may be wrong but when I called them about it 4 months ago they said it was a fiberglass hood that was CF skinned. But they could be wrong (so could I) but here is the place that actually makes the hood.

http://www.visracing.com/

Some one give em a call and let us know what they say.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by roushcobra03
gave them a call the hood will be available in 10 days and the cost is $540.00 plus shipping so for me it is $679

Doesn't the website say 475? How did the 540 come into play?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just make sure at that price the hood latch is steel reinforced.

Ive seen a few Mustangs with heavier fiberglass hoods flip up at high speed due to ripping at the latch and it aint pretty.

Hood pins aren't always an asthetically pleasing solution either.

stang2supra

Established Member
I have a VIS CF hood for those who have any questions. There are a couple of things you guys should know beforehand.

1. Most CF hoods in the 200-700$ range are FIBERGLASS hoods with a CF sheet over them. They do not give you a huge amount of weight savings over stock, if any at all. When they advertise "Real CF" they mean it's a real sheet of carbon fiber, not the whole hood itself. Check and make sure that this isn't the case or you will most likely be wasting your time/money (if your objective is to save weight).

2. VIS has fitment problems. There are 4 bolts, 2 on each side that hold the hood to the hinges. Out of 4, only 2 of them line up. I had to modify my hood to fit w/ a dremel.

3. Hoods flying up at high speed has nothing to do w/ how heavy the fiberglass hood is. It is the strength/design of the latch area. However, I strongly recommend anyone and everyone to use hood pins with all aftermarket hoods. There is nowhere near the amount of R&D in a "race" hood that I would feel comfortable w/o using pins.

4. I would not recommend a VIS hood. It's not too light, quality is so-so, and fitment is off. Keep in mind that I have this hood ON my car at this moment. Incase you guys are wondering, the reason why I purchased it was I was fishing around the idea of carrying this hood for my business. I decided that the quality wasn't up to par.

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps some of you guys with your decisions.

John

:beer:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I sent grounddynamics an email and they said they hood weighed 22lbs. So thats pretty good, but stang2supra has one so he would know a lot more about it. I am suprised you had fitment problems. Have you contacted them about it?

stang2supra

Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
I sent grounddynamics an email and they said they hood weighed 22lbs. So thats pretty good, but stang2supra has one so he would know a lot more about it. I am suprised you had fitment problems. Have you contacted them about it?

I haven't contacted them about fitment problems. I wasn't too satisfied with the quality of the weave anyways, or else I might have made the effort to fix the fitment issue. There were too many problems with it to follow through with anything.

CF hoods that aren't up to par in quality, usually have imperfections in the weave. Especially on hoods with vents and complicated designs/angles, it's VERY hard to get it perfect.

I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Yeah post up some pics, my CF hood had one or two imperfections in the weave, but the fitment was good

Users who are viewing this thread