Cargo area of rear hatch

mattranchero

Established Member
Hello, I have been doing a bit of research on all the different hatchbacks that are out on the market today and have come to an question that I have been unable to find the answer to. Is there enough room in the back of the ST for a dog to lay down comfortably (mine is a 50lb Australian Shepherd). I am looking at the STI/WRX, Mazdaspeed3 and the Focus and Fiesta ST to use as my new daily driver when I return from Afghan (gotta find something to blow all my hard earned money on) and I have a young (less than a year) daughter that I'd rather my dog didn't mess with while in the car together. Also, do the usual aftermarket roof racks fit on the Focus/ Fiesta so that I could, in theory devote the entire hatch area to my dog. Sorry for the long post and thank you for any information you are able to provide. (I also used the search and only found the insideline article)

bahndrvr

Pure, Hot, Speed
Established Member
I hvae a 75lb dog myself and am about to trade my truck in - Im' going to go take a look in the next few days and will let you know as a Dog owner what I think. From what I remember - there is plenty of room - Focus hatch is very big, but I'll verify for you if noone else jumps on here wiht one:)

mattranchero

Established Member
Thankyou! Under normal conditions I would just go to the Ford dealer and look, but I am looking to use the deployed service member program that ford offers so I am buying it site unseen (its new though so I am not too worried).

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
A 50lb dog should be fine, mine is about 45 lbs and occasionally when I watch my moms dog which weights about 15 she rides back there too with no issues.....other than the copius amounts of shedding hair.

mattranchero

Established Member
A 50lb dog should be fine, mine is about 45 lbs and occasionally when I watch my moms dog which weights about 15 she rides back there too with no issues.....other than the copius amounts of shedding hair.
I have the same problem with the shedding. :) It would take me forever to vacuum out the back of my jeep. I use a cover I got at some no name pet store down in Longs, SC now and it gets all the hair all over it and not on the interior. Thank you for the help - it is greatly appreciated!

TRBO VNM

Is the Australian Shepard smaller than the typical Shepard? My buddy has a shepard and it is closer to 80# and I wouldn't put him in the hatch area. he would fit, but IMO a little too large to go back there. I have a lab/beagle mix that is 45# and I would put her back there without issue and she would have plenty of room to move around and everything. She is more the height of a beagle than a lab though and is full grown.

bahndrvr

Pure, Hot, Speed
Established Member
Is the Australian Shepard smaller than the typical Shepard? My buddy has a shepard and it is closer to 80# and I wouldn't put him in the hatch area. he would fit, but IMO a little too large to go back there. I have a lab/beagle mix that is 45# and I would put her back there without issue and she would have plenty of room to move around and everything. She is more the height of a beagle than a lab though and is full grown.

Yeah they are smaller:)

I have used the deployed service member stuff before and honestly - it's not that big of a savings, I'm at Patrick AFB now - but was in Germany for 4 years and did 6 deployments. You save money in Germany with German cars, wiht AAFES you don't save as much as you think because you get hit with the taxes when you hit your state...

You can save money on Harleys, but the program isn't as good as it once was...

Just ot put it in perspective, I was quoted 22,300 for a 2014 ST1 with the Grey wheels and painted calipers. I have no interest in the REcaro's as I have kids and the aformentioned big dog.

If you use the program, good luck:) I used it 3 times - enough to make me realize it isn't that great of a deal.

mattranchero

Established Member
I honestly haven't even got a quote on one yet (other than doing the build option on ford's website). I have only seen their ads posted in the PX and the USO so I thought it might be a pretty good deal. Thank you for the info on it though, I will definitely go in a little more skeptical now. As for whether the Aussie is smaller than a german shepherd, yes he is outsized by about 6 inches height wise from my neighbors K-9 unit and at least 25 pounds. He sheds a crap load more too. Again I can't thank everyone enough for the info!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have a 75lb lab that I put in the back of mine from time to time. He fits ok, although it's a little tight if he wants to face out the back window. Thankfully, my dog typically lays down on car trips, or looks out the front window, so it hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure I'd cram him back there for any long trips, but for taking him back and forth to the vet, or the park, it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread