CC plates and adjusting for track

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
What is the easiest way to set up a Cobra so I can change my alignment at the track then put it back for the drive home? I know I need some CC plates, but it there any particular brand that is easier to do this adjustment with?

MFE

Established Member
I don't think the brand matters as far as ease of adjustment goes as long as it can be done with easy hand tools like Maximum Motorsports. All you really need to mess with for an autocross is Camber. And all you really need to do is take a tape measure or ruler and measure how far the top of your strut is from the edge of the fender and record that measurement. For events, loosen the camber adjustment bolts and allow the struts to flop all the way inward. You may have to poke the strut's bump stop down below the level of the top of the strut tower first so it doesn't interfere. After the event, move the plates back out to your measured street setting and voila, you're back in business for the street. This is easier if you take the load off the strut.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
MFE said:
I don't think the brand matters as far as ease of adjustment goes as long as it can be done with easy hand tools like Maximum Motorsports. All you really need to mess with for an autocross is Camber. And all you really need to do is take a tape measure or ruler and measure how far the top of your strut is from the edge of the fender and record that measurement. For events, loosen the camber adjustment bolts and allow the struts to flop all the way inward. You may have to poke the strut's bump stop down below the level of the top of the strut tower first so it doesn't interfere. After the event, move the plates back out to your measured street setting and voila, you're back in business for the street. This is easier if you take the load off the strut.

X2, although I dis-agree with the "all the way comment" more tha 3 degrees of negative camber will affect your braking ability. as the nose of the car dives the lowercontal arm extens geometrically giving even ore camber and less contact patch is usable for braking.

MFE

Established Member
true enough, but I'll fall out of my chair if he can get even 3 degrees out of it.

fastbird86

Established Member
I'm getting about 5 degrees camber, at least on one side! :kaboom:

Not 100% sure, but the sacrifice in braking performance is acceptible for the better handling you get from running alot of camber.

Most of the guys that run the old platform mustang run gross amounts of camber to keep the camber curve even during turning, its a flaw in the design of the front suspension that the tires don't use all of the tread available.

The only bad thing is not everyone post perfect alighnment angles for mustangs, so you have to guess at what works for your driving style and suspension setup. Same goes for spring rates!

MFE

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports, because unless Steeda has changed their design, they mount the bearing in the plate so that the entire load has to be carried by the circlip holding it in place. MM mounts the bearing from the bottom and the plate itself bears the load.

Users who are viewing this thread