Centerforce - Ram - Spec clutches

n2fords2003

Established Member
Ok I need to make a clutch decision. A lot of people here are running the spec clutches and some running the Ram but what about centerforce? Im trying to decide between the Ram 900, Spec stage2, and the Centerforce Dual-Friction. I know the Centerforce was mack-daddy back in the day (10 years). So does anyone have the Centerforce and how do you like it? Im looking for something that will handle high 400 hp and torque. Most importantly I want NO "Chatter" and as light of pedel pressure as stock. Im thinking that the Ram 900 might be a little heavey on the pedal.. PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE SPEAK-UP

silvercoffin

Established Member
Id like to know as well. I had a FMS Racing CLutch put in after smoking my clutch once on my first trip to the track. Clutch number two has been smelling pretty bad when I try to feather it at the track.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
I'm running a Spec II. It grabs a lot faster, as in not as easy to slip for every day driving (killing it at the stop light sux:rollseyes ). No chatter w/9000 miles on it. Still breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift every time and I run Nitto555R's. I'm happy with it. I've never used the other to you mentioned.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I had a Ford Motorsport and then a Centerforce dual friction clutch in my 5.0 LX. The Motorsport wasn't very good in my opinion. I forget why now, but I didn't like it. After it bit the dust, I got the Centerforce. When it was new it was great. It gripped harder than the motorsport and much harder than stock. After a year or so it didn't work as well. It seemed to lose grip and wear out rather quickly. Another year and I replaced it as it was finished. My LX only had about 250 hp so I don't know how long the dual friction would last in a Cobra.

n2fords2003

Established Member
I guess Im going to order a Spec stage 2 on tuesday. My cobra isnt a race only so I hope that the pedal isnt too hard for crusin.. Does anyone know what the pedal pressure difference between the stage 2 and stage 3?

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
I've been told that the pedal pressure between Spec II and III is the same. The big difference is the III grabs much harder when trying to slip the clutch (aka killing it, bucking, etc). The II has a "standard" type disc and the III has like a 5 puck disc. I would call Spec directly and talk with them. http://www.speclutches.com/

Users who are viewing this thread