"Check Engine Light" ON

04YellowGT

Established Member
Well we were out driving the car today and all of the sudden the CEL came on and we don't know why. Its got about 130 miles on it and we've had it for about a week. Its came on a few times before and then it would just shut off. Now this time it came on and hasnt turned off. Has anyone had this problem or know why it might do this? There are no driving issues with it and no weird sounds.

Daemonj

Established Member
Don't know if it's the same issue, but I had a small problem at 375 miles. The check engine light came on, but the car also started running rough with a loss of power. I parked it and had it towed to the local SVT dealer. Turned out to be a bad coil. They replaced the plug and coil and all has been awesome since!

BTW, don't try resetting the computer before taking it in. I reset the system by removing the battery and lost the check engine code that was generated during the initial problem.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Jason

04YellowGT

Established Member
Well the guy from the dealership is coming down tomorrow and is gonna look at it so we will see. I was just checking to see if I could get a head start on the problem.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
04YellowGT said:
Well the guy from the dealership is coming down tomorrow and is gonna look at it so we will see. I was just checking to see if I could get a head start on the problem.
If you have an SCT tuner for it you can check which trouble code the car has thrown (stored) and see what the problem is before taking it to the dealer.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Very simple check. See if the EGR(I think) has come loose from the intake between the air filter and the mass air flow sensor. I had that happen on my Roush. The car was on the showroom floor and someone must have messed with it. It cam loose on my drive home right after I picked up the car. The EGR will have a will be a black connection with a little green lever on it. Nothing else seemed to be wrong. The car was still running fine. Mine just vibrated off on the drive home.:shrug:

Last edited:

Daemonj

Established Member
Yeah, I initially thought my problem could have been the air filter. Only cars built before 09/01/2006 are supposed to have the filter issue. Mine was built a week or two later and did not have the issue.

Jason

Requis

Established Member
Just curious and I'm not sure if I should be posting this in its own thread but I went in to my Ford Dealership for my first oil change...and I indicated that the there was a serious vibration when going from first to second gear. I indicated I thought and had read about clutch chatter that this might be the issue.

Service manager asked me to take him for a spin with a smile that would shortly disappear. We drove probably around twenty feet when I was told abruptly to stop the car. Asked me to get out and get in the passenger seat he drove probably another 30 or so feet and pulled back into the dealership and immediately put the car on the lift...I've now got a Taurus as a loaner and will keep you posted. They think its a drive shaft issue or a Diff issue. And with 700KM very little in the way of aggresive driving.

Sorry to steal your thread but also watch the infamous clutch chatter information it could be something else.

Let us know what you find out about the engine light!

Cheers,

Requis

Daemonj

Established Member
Good, I'm not alone! ok, just kidding... It might be all in my mind but I swear that the engine runs a lot cooler since my bad coil was replaced. I haven't had any further problems, but would warn everyone to keep and eye out for the symptoms that I mentioned above. I've heard several reports of Lincoln and Expedition 5.4's having bad coils. Guess the GT500 is no different.

Thx
Jason

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
Requis said:
Just curious and I'm not sure if I should be posting this in its own thread but I went in to my Ford Dealership for my first oil change...and I indicated that the there was a serious vibration when going from first to second gear. I indicated I thought and had read about clutch chatter that this might be the issue.

Service manager asked me to take him for a spin with a smile that would shortly disappear. We drove probably around twenty feet when I was told abruptly to stop the car. Asked me to get out and get in the passenger seat he drove probably another 30 or so feet and pulled back into the dealership and immediately put the car on the lift...I've now got a Taurus as a loaner and will keep you posted. They think its a drive shaft issue or a Diff issue. And with 700KM very little in the way of aggresive driving.

Sorry to steal your thread but also watch the infamous clutch chatter information it could be something else.

Let us know what you find out about the engine light!

Cheers,

Requis

I dont own a GT500 but the one that is here localy has been back at the dealer for a twisted drive shaft. And it wasnt caused by aggresive driving. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread