Check engine light?

I-R-BABOON

Got Hose?
Established Member
Hey guys i just recently threw an X-pipe on my friends 01 GT and a few days later his check engine light came on. I dont know if it was due to the no cats or something i did or completely different but is tehre a way i can reset that without taking it to a dealer. They dont want to touch the car cause the cats are missing but i want to make sure something isnt majorly wrong with his car. Thanks for the help.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Well if you disconnect the negative (black) battery cable and then reconnect it you will reset your computer. Obviously that would only be a temorary fix as the light would soon come back on.

I had a new computer chip put in mine when I had mine dyno tuned and they set it in a way that the computer won't detect the last two O2 sensors. That way the light won't come on.

You can also buy "MIL" eliminators that attach to the exhaust and will keep the light from coming on.

I would take care of it soon though otherwise the computer will start adjusting things that will affect power.:beer:

Grover Dill

Established Member
I had an X-pipe and CATS on my 98 GT and eventually got the check engine light also. I don't know if the 01 GT has 6 CATS like my 98 did but it didn't like it when I switched to 2 high flow CATS. The MIL eliminators are definetly the way to go.

StangD281

Established Member
My 01 GT had 2 pre-burners & 2 cats. I installed a Bassani Catted X-pipe, and within 2 months the light came on. Ran the scanner & it came up with the code for "catalyst not performing to standard."

I had heard a while back that Bassani was using different material in the converters, and they weren't as efficient. Who knows really....

My CEL came on atleast once a month, and I would disconnect the battery, and clear the codes. This is just me, but I won't be buying another Bassani X-pipe.

Ask "Grim's Reaper" what he thinks....same Bassani install, same CEL two months later. :shrug:

Tates01GT

Established Member
I wouldn't bother with the MIL eliminators. I used them and within a month the light came on anyway. Just go with the chip to turn it off.

I-R-BABOON

Got Hose?
Established Member
OK I installed the mil connectors and when I put them on the wires were really tight and caused the wire to sit on the exhaust. I followed the dirctions but it still happened what am I doing wrong? BTW I guess ill just tell him to send back the connectors anyways since i dont like the way they are. but did anyone else have that problem with the MIL's?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
There shouldn't be a problem if you connected them to the rear O2's. This is where they need to be. They add a couple of inches to the O2 wires, and all you have to do is remove the clips that hold the wires in the crossover section. This gives you some slack to zip tie the wires out of harms way. Remember the rear O2's are what report the final exhaust reading, for cleanliness, to the computer since it has already been through 2 catalytic converters. The MIL eliminators just contain a capacitor and a couple of resistors that keep the voltage output regulated to around 400 millivolts. :thumbsup:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
There shouldn't be a problem if you connected them to the rear O2's. This is where they need to be. They add a couple of inches to the O2 wires, and all you have to do is remove the clips that hold the wires in the crossover section. This gives you some slack to zip tie the wires out of harms way. Remember the rear O2's are what report the final exhaust reading, for cleanliness, to the computer since it has already been through 2 catalytic converters. The MIL eliminators just contain a capacitor and a couple of resistors that keep the voltage output regulated to around 400 millivolts. :thumbsup:

Yeah, what he said:)

Users who are viewing this thread