"Clacking" sound coming from driverside head over 2.5k RPM's..

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey gents,

I'm in the process of tuning my Bullitt for e85 on the 2.2l Kenne Bell, and am working with a Base Tune that has the Short Term Fuel Trims spot on, and so it's time to start perfecting the WOT portion of the tune. Well, I took the car out the other night and put it in 4th to do a minor pull to see where I stand, and the car pegged at 9.0 AF Ratio, after the car got from about 2k rpms to 3k it just stopped making power, probably because it was pig rich. After that I got out of the throttle and got off the highway. When coming to a stop, the car died on me after coming to a stop. I had to try and start the car while feathering the throttle to get the car back up and running, and when it was running, I had to give the car a little gas or it would not stay running.

Well, fast forward to about 15 minutes after that, I was on the way to take the car home when I noticed something strange after 2.5k RPM's, I had a strange sound from the car, and a feeling in the pedal every time it would happen. I limped the car home, and have it sitting in the driveway. I will post a video later in the evening of the sound that it is making, but I just wanted any opinions over what this could be? What do I need to do to diagnose this issue? I plan on looking at the plugs, is a compression test probably necessary? Strangely, the car seems to be idling perfect, it is only when the car starts going higher in RPM's does this become more apparent.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dakota

Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
9.0 AFR should be enough to wash the cylinder walls down with fuel right?

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Video of Noise:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEt7WedunE"]Clack sound at 2.5k RPMs + - YouTube[/nomedia]

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
sucks to hear/see. i know im not much of a help, since have no clue what the noise could be. hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge/experience in this area will take a look, and chime in soon, as well.

good luck. hope you get it figured out, and resolved without it being TOO big of a deal.

definitely keep us posted/updated!

JMD0346

Established Member
Could be several things. All of which will more than likely require tearing the motor down. Could be Timing chain tensioners. Could be piston slap, vavle train noise etc...

Almost sounds like valve train noise. Hard to tell with a vid though. Could be pistons slapping the head after they overheated and warped. Thats what mine did.

You do know that running an engine that rich causes alot of heat right?

Might as well start breaking it down.

Users who are viewing this thread