Clutch acting weird - why?

hmwave

Established Member
During wheel hop 'testing' after fitting IRS bushings I ended up overheating my clutch to the point of an expensive smelling pungent odor! Ooops.
The clutch has survived 18K miles and 18mnths so far and I haven't been too hard on it.

However, in the last month I'm finding it's engaging at the extreme top of the travel. I've tried pulling up on the pedal and letting it spring up from the floor but it's still the same.
The gear change is very notchy when cold but less so when the box warms up - as expected with the T56.
I've always had to push the clutch hard to the carpet to change gears since I got the car June '02.

Here's what happens:
The clutch doesn't engage at all until I bring the pedal to probably a quarter to a half inch away from the uppermost point of its travel. The car slowly moves off with maybe half maximum pressure on the pedal. When it feels like the clutch is engaged I lift again but the pedal only moves a tiny amount and it feels kinda spongy at the final point of travel - it feels like it was already as far up as it could go.
It seems the engagment point has moved to the extreme top of the pedal travel and there's no more feeling of clutch modulation ability like there was a few 1000 miles ago.

If I floor it in a low gear I'm not getting any clutch slip that I can tell or any smell of burning.

Is this a sign that my clutch is nearly worn out, that I damaged it when testing the wheel hop, or that it needs adjustment?

I have a UPR 3-hook quadrant and fire wall adjuster to fit soon but just wondered if the clutch is going bad.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave

I have a UPR 3-hook quadrant and fire wall adjuster to fit soon but just wondered if the clutch is going bad.

2 possible issues:

1. You may have a worn clutch, track times and burning clutch smell will confirm that

2. not engaging until the pedal almost hits the floor will be fixed by your UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster, get that in stalled and then go the track to prove whether you need a new clutch.

Jerry

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If you don't get some free play in the top of the pedal, your clutch will be toast, if it isn't already.
I would replace the stock quadrant as soon as possible to minimize the damage to the clutch. If possible, introduce some free play in the stock linkage until you install the new pieces.
If you do manage to get some free play at the top of the pedal, and it is still not grabbing until the very top of the travel (even with the free play), the the clutch is shot.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread