Clutch question??????

raiders03

Banned
How much power can our stock clutches handle? I bought new tires yesterday and naturally I wanted to burn the rest of the old ones off. So I did some doughnuts and a few 100 foot burnies. My clutch seemed like it was burning up pretty bad. It smelt really bad and at 1 piont it would not even go into gear untill ip pumped the clutch like 10 times. It seems fine now. I have all the main 4 mods. Just wondering do I need a bigger clutch? Have any of you guys experienced similar things after abusing your cars? Is it normal for your clutch to burn up when you do long burnies? Thanks for your thoughts. I will post the video I made of me pounding the sh*t out of my car soon.

agof95

Established Member
Were you slipping the clutch? If you dump the clutch and hold your foot on the brake, the only thing getting burned up should be the tires.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
If you could smell it, it was slipping. Let's see that vid :)

I don't think you can get a bigger clutch, just ones with more holding power.

stangin

Established Member
Clutch

I think the factory clutches are pretty weak and wont last long with just the stock engine, let alone mods. We will probably not get many miles out of them. Mine is hanging in there at 5000 miles, but it is hard to catch a little rubber in second unless I really try so I think it tries to slip a little. Gees, I get more rubber by hittin the boost at about 5000 rpm the tires start to break loose in 1st before I have to shift. They cars are awsome!

Black 03

raiders03

Banned
I was dumping the clutch. I was not even using the brakes. I would dump it into first at like 5000 RPM's and then instantly shift into second using this gear to lay all the rubber. It just seemed like the clutch was still getting burned up even though it was not pushed in at all. It does not feel like it is slipping under acceleration even at redline. The inside of my car stills smells like clutch today. I will be posting the vid but I have to have it transferred from the camera to my computer still.

Vindication

Flossy Fast
Established Member
start looking at a performance clutch. least single plate. I want to go double plate but I feel the grab will be out of control for the street.

Users who are viewing this thread