Cobra R Exhaust - Flowmaster #17212

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
When I purchased the Carlisle 95 Cobra R (#139) it had a stock 5.0 Cobra tank and a rusted out Mac Exhaust. I immediately installed a Glenn's Gas Tank and it fit like a glove. This is the second I have installed and can't praise this setup enough. Unless you are extremely knowledgeable, you can't determine the difference between the Fuel Safe cell and a Glenn's tank. They are $800 + $100 shipping all in and then you will need to get it powder coated. This is much cheaper than $2,500 for a rebuilt cell and a bladder that will leak again.

Anyway, back to the exhaust. I wanted #139 to to have a cell look and I knew most of the aftermarket exhausts didn't clear since they were designed around a street tank. I ordered a Spin Tech side exhaust kit and that was a total nightmare. The fit was horrible. They sent me an exhaust with incorrect hanger lengths and the pipe from the muffler to each side exit hung very low. I had about 3" ground clearance.

I spent many hours reading old posts and found mention of Flowmaster fitting around the cell. I contacted Flowmaster (owned by Holley) and they had no idea if it would fit. I ordered an exhaust kit. They offered three versions. A quiet muffler kit, a loud muffler kit and then a loud kit with polished stainless tips. There was only one version with stainless tips. That is the part # 17212. Let me tell you, it isn't very loud at all. Anyone would be fine with the exhaust volume level.

The kit showed up and it was a straight forward install. They do include some goofy spring clips that hold the hangers in place. They are a joke. Turns out the hangers are perfect for a 1/2" nut. Threaded right on and I used a flat washer. I tacked the front pipes to the rear tailpipes. The clamps they include are not strong enough to compress the exhaust pipe.

I am VERY happy with the fit and quality. It looks nearly identical to the OEM exhaust but is 2 1/2" instead of the stock 2 1/4". The car sounds good but not obnoxiously loud. The stainless tips look really, really good and closely resemble the OEM look.

Tom
DSCN1384.JPG
DSCN1385.JPG
DSCN1386.JPG

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Forgot to add, there is no rub anywhere. I did find you could shift the gas tank towards the driver's side to get a little more clearance on the passenger side pipe. There is plenty of room on the driver's side.

Tom

brianz426

Established Member
Tom,
I put this same system on my car about 2 years ago. Your review is spot on. In my opinion this is the best option for these cars. Looks stock and sounds fantastic.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
How disappointing, I waited months for it, but also have had it for months, so I think Im stuck. I'll at least give it a go. Should be in the next week or 2 oe 3

Users who are viewing this thread