Crankshaft Information

BlackMamba3

Established Member
So I've seen alot of different threads that this topic comes up but it's never been answered in my opinion. So here's my question and statements.

I've read that the stock GT crank is rated at 1400HP. Now, my question, when upgrading the internals of a stock GT, why would you replace the crank if it's rated that high? If you do replace it, what would you go with? I know the Boss crank has different stuff done to it (steel hardening?) but wouldn't it be rated at the same 1400HP?

I know the guys at MMR have pushed their stock cranks to well over 1000HP so I know they can hold up to lots of power.

Looking for anyone's input here. Thanks guys.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You should always build for your goal. That ultimately is going to make your decision for you.

I don't think anybody at this point has taxed the limits of the stock crank. But the engine is also early in it's life. If you're building a street car with 600-700 hp, there's no reason not to go with a factory crank. Building a drag car that you want to push 1500-2000 out of? You're going to want that billet crank.

No point in spending more money than you have to for a given build.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
So both of you have mentioned "the billet crank." Where are we able to get them? $4K for a crankshaft? Damn....

Bryant, Callies, and Moldex (who made mine) to name a few. There are lots of niche specialty machine shops that make them too.

They can basically customize a crank any way you want. It all depends on how much you want to spend. They usually have a several week leadtime, if not longer. $4K is just the start, that's why they are way overkill for most.

They look really sweet though.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I made 1000rwhp on the stock crank in my Lightning, but some people need more. A friend just got his billet crank in the other day for his Cobra. He had Sonny Bryant custom make it for him. It's artwork and it's $$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread