DANG:Need Clutch Opinions for '03 Cobra....

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
Just ordered the Centerforce dual friction setup from Summit. The last dual friction I had on a Camaro held up well but there are so many posts on other boards about how lousy the Centerforce dual friction clutch is that I am having second thoughts about putting it in.
By the way, the flywheel is made by Skyline, not McLeod. The 2000 Cobra R flywheel is made by McLeod and the 03 Cobra flywheel is a copycat of that but made by Skyline. The flywheel can be resurfaced.

I doubt a centerforce will hold up. My seocnd best clutch until I got the mcleod was a FMS king cobra pressure plate A150 or something like that, I just cant remember right now but it had the letter A in it, and a centerforce dual friction disc.

The centerforce pressure plate is crap and will only hold on NA or centrifugal cars that make power high in the rpm band. It was well known that a twin turbo setup (full boost at 2800 RPM) would kill it because it wasnt spinning fast enough yet for the weights to help. A positive displacement blower is the same way. If you haven't used it, I would take it back. You need a heavier pressure plate. I don't know who makes a heavy duty pressure plate for the new cobra, but the dual friction disc is a good choice from centerforce.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods
How's the pedal feel compared to stock? I thought about one of the dual disk setups but wanted to talk to someone who has felt one first. Since I'm stuck with a clutch cable, anything I swap in to replace the stock clutch can't be any harder to push. I still drive the car in stop and go traffic and won't tolerate killing my leg in the name of increased clamping force. Price is really no object to me as I view a clutch upgrade as a one time deal. Were you able to reuse the stock flywheel with the dual disk setup? What did your setup cost you, minus installation?

I really can't compare to a stock 03' since mine is on order and I don't have it yet. However from my old car, the feel was less than my heavy duty single plate clutch. The clutch does have twice the area so it doesn't need as much pressure. Thats why I got it over some nuts setup that my gf could never drive. (I taught her how to drive a manual on my turbo car, she did really well considering the car was the worse choice to learn on. The motorsport clutch wore her leg out to the point she couldn't continue after 15 min of stop and go practice. The mcleod didn't give her a problem)

I did not reuse my stock flywheel because I had drilled it for balancing and it couldn't be used (they weld in studs into the flywheel). You could send them a brand new flywheel and use it but the savings was offset by shipping a heavy MF. So I just bought it with a new billet flywheel. It cost me 685$ I think with a new adjustable pivot ball and a new throwout bearing and shipping. Installation was free, I did it myself.

I bought it from a place in Cali, I forget the name something motorsports, not that it helps. The guy is or was a partner with JD's Performance in FL. If I were to do it again, I'd call JD's. He is a awesome guy to work with. Check www.corral.net for reviews of who to work with. And god knows, stay away from excessive.

Heres a pic of my engine just because its so sexy...

http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Car/Passengerlarge.jpg

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
I really can't compare to a stock 03' since mine is on order and I don't have it yet. However from my old car, the feel was less than my heavy duty single plate clutch. The clutch does have twice the area so it doesn't need as much pressure. Thats why I got it over some nuts setup that my gf could never drive. (I taught her how to drive a manual on my turbo car, she did really well considering the car was the worse choice to learn on. The motorsport clutch wore her leg out to the point she couldn't continue after 15 min of stop and go practice. The mcleod didn't give her a problem)

I did not reuse my stock flywheel because I had drilled it for balancing and it couldn't be used (they weld in studs into the flywheel). You could send them a brand new flywheel and use it but the savings was offset by shipping a heavy MF. So I just bought it with a new billet flywheel. It cost me 685$ I think with a new adjustable pivot ball and a new throwout bearing and shipping. Installation was free, I did it myself.

I bought it from a place in Cali, I forget the name something motorsports, not that it helps. The guy is or was a partner with JD's Performance in FL. If I were to do it again, I'd call JD's. He is a awesome guy to work with. Check www.corral.net for reviews of who to work with. And god knows, stay away from excessive.

Heres a pic of my engine just because its so sexy...

http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Car/Passengerlarge.jpg

Thinking on that topic, I am thinking of canceling my order for the 03' due to everyone having issues with it. I wanted a new nice car with power. My 87 GT is already loads faster in a straight line.

ESBC

Established Member
For what its worth.

I just put a stage 3 in my cobra along with the spec flywheel.

I saved about 3 lbs on the flywheel and about 2 on the clutch.

The stage 3 is similar to the stage 2 in feel but can handle the extra hp and torque. If your used to the slipping your clutch the 400 break-in miles will be spend looking like you are learning to drive cause it is very "grabby".

On a side note does the 03 flywheel past tech for 11.99 cars?

I can not go into much more because my engine crapped out as soon as the clutch went in, but the rpm's come real fast with the aftermarket flywheel.

esbc

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
Thinking on that topic, I am thinking of canceling my order for the 03' due to everyone having issues with it. I wanted a new nice car with power. My 87 GT is already loads faster in a straight line.

Issues? Every new car has issues. The only issue I had was the tick and that was taken care of by the dealer in less than a day. As for the clutch, it's not an issue. I'm just lining up a replacement for when the time comes.
Will you be at the Super Stallions of the Net track day at Cecil Dragway in Maryland on Nov 9? If so, fell free to track me down and I can give you some hands on with my car so you can give me a better description of the twin disk clutch feel.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I wasn't aware there was anything going on that weekend. I would love to come, but unfortunately I'm taking a trip to NC that fri-monday. I was thinking of going to capitol next friday though in the L.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Re: Re: McLeod

Originally posted by mjchip
Thanks but I talked with a couple of tuners as well as some customers who are making BIG hp and they all recommend the SPEC Power clutches.

I ordered a STAGEIII 11" clutch with lightweight pressure plate option (saves 6lbs of rotating mass) yesterday, it should go in next weekend.

Best,

MJ

how is the stageIII working out for you? Have you been happy with it and no issues?

I'm considering getting this too. Did you purchase a new flywheel?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
cool, thanks. btw, what is the primary difference between the stage II and stage III ? I've been hearing of people getting the stageII for their 03 cobras but stageIII makes more sense to me.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
cool, thanks. btw, what is the primary difference between the stage II and stage III ? I've been hearing of people getting the stageII for their 03 cobras but stageIII makes more sense to me.

Basically the main difference is power handling capability. You'll have to check the website BUT there is a substantial difference in capacity between the StageII and StageIII clutches. It is my understanding that the StageIII will be less smooth when driven normally (may chatter or engage harshly). Some people have gotten a mix between the StageII and StageIII (one pressure plate and the other clutch disc). Do a search and you should find that info on this board. Also, I would just give SPEC a call to see what they recommend for your car.

MJ

Bingo13

Established Member
If the car is your daily driver and you stay around or below 500rwhp then a StageII clutch with a StageIII pressure plate works very well. I have been very happy with my setup to date. The full StageIII setup is very nice but was not designed for mall parking lots and rush hour traffic. ;-)
I did not purchase a new flywheel. This will be my next change based upon future mods.
If you mainly go to the track then a StageIII or RAM system is very good.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yeah, what he said...

I was told the same thing that Bingo13 just stated....

I decided I wouldn't be happy with the full Stage III setup in my stop-and-go commute so I'm going with the Stage II clutch & Stage III pressure plate

btw, Rob Raymer at QMP is a SPEC dealer :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I haven't installed the clutch yet. I'll probably have it done by springtime.

MJ

So are you still driving the car? My clutch did the same thing the other day but luclky I wasnt far from the dealership. This is what eventually happened as I prayed to make it there. 1st 5500rpm to get to 5mph 2nd 5500 rpm to get to 10mph. Once I got rolling in 3rd I was able to get enough speed to stay out of others way. Hopefully the smell won't bond to my interior. :lol:

i8u

Established Member

4. How hard is it to change the clutch in the DOHC cars with T56 transmissions?

5. What about the flywheel?

Thanks guys!

Best,

MJ

Pretty much like any other rwd car with a manual tranny. If you have access to a lift. You can do it.:beer:

sn8kbite

Established Member
I installed the SPEC stage 3 in my 03 after frying 2 ford OEM clutches and flywheels.The ford parts are crap and the ford quadrant is crap.
The spec stage 3 is a beast it can take everything the car dishes out.But it is also grabby when attempting to leave from stop lights ect...during normal driving.The stage 3 is available in a 4 puck disc or a 6 puck disc,i went with the 6 puck.
As far as resurfacing the factory flywheel,FORGET IT,once they heat up to the point that your smelling fried clutch the flywheel is finished as well,plus there isnt enough depth to surface it without cutting into the heads of the rivets.
The problem we saw with the 2 flywheels we replaced is they got hot and they actually warp creating a bowl shaped flywheel.
Once you get the flywheel off lay a straight edge across the flywheel surface and you will see what i mean.
Spec stage 3 cost me 350 dollars and the new flywheel was about 400 with tax.
The job is fairly simple and doesnt require much more than one afternoon and a buddy helping you.

Users who are viewing this thread