Days from an 04 lighting, im scared to wash it!

dodgetoford

Banned
Tuesday i should be getting an 04 red lighting if everything goes right. I detail cars for a side job, but im scared shitless to do my own! Of course on my previous truck (a dodge) i just washed it and hand waxed it. THIS WILL NOT DO FOR A LIGHTING! Im sure you all agree an l deserves more than that. So what do i do? What are these porter cables and stuff what products are you guys usin?, what kinda mit do you guys use to wash your vehicles? Please help i want it to look perfect.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Just a couple of tips. Don't use a regular chamois for drying. Buy a good quality microfiber waffle weave towel from Scott @ specialtymotoring.com

Use a good wash soap, one that won't strip your wax and still provides good lubricity. TOL Bubble Bath wash is great (and cheap), and I have heard good things about the Tropi-Care wash. Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds wash is excellent as well (can be found at SMP also). Meguiars makes some excellent washing tools (the Gold Class line) so any wash mitt from them will work fine.

Since your truck is new, I would start out by washing it and fine polishing it, then put a coat of wax/sealant on it. If you start out right, it will be easier to maintain it.

dodgetoford

Banned
Juiced-03 said:
Just a couple of tips. Don't use a regular chamois for drying. Buy a good quality microfiber waffle weave towel from Scott @ specialtymotoring.com

Use a good wash soap, one that won't strip your wax and still provides good lubricity. TOL Bubble Bath wash is great (and cheap), and I have heard good things about the Tropi-Care wash. Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds wash is excellent as well (can be found at SMP also). Meguiars makes some excellent washing tools (the Gold Class line) so any wash mitt from them will work fine.

Since your truck is new, I would start out by washing it and fine polishing it, then put a coat of wax/sealant on it. If you start out right, it will be easier to maintain it.
ty for the help, exactly the answer i was lookin for.one question though, but what do you mean polishing it? apply it like a wax (assuming im doing this all by hand). Or should i buy a pc thingy (which is a type of buffer i assume?)

Juiced-03

Established Member
dodgetoford said:
ty for the help, exactly the answer i was lookin for.one question though, but what do you mean polishing it? apply it like a wax (assuming im doing this all by hand). Or should i buy a pc thingy (which is a type of buffer i assume?)

By polishing I mean taking out the swirls or fine scratches. If your truck is swirl free, you can skip this step. I would also recommend a clay bar wash to remove embedded road debris. It really makes the paint smooth! You will have to polish after using the clay though. Poorboys makes a great line of polish. You can buy the polish at the same place I recommended above:

http://www.specialtymotoring.com

The owner of that site posts on here under the name Scott P. He will help you with all of your needs. Check out the site and look at his products. I have tried almost all of his products and they are top notch. His products are also quite popular with other members here. Of course you will find many products that are good too that he doesn't sell. Autogeek.net is a great place to buy Meguiars, Klasse, and 4* products. If your truck is practically swirl free, you could probably get away with a clay wash, then a light polish by hand with the Poorboys SSR1 polish. Use a micro fiber towel to remove the polish, then apply a nice sealant or wax (your choice) and maintain it with weekly washes. I would reapply your wax/sealant every 2-3 months or whenever you feel it is needed and you have time.

If you have more moderate swirling, you may want to invest in a PC one day. It will save your arm and provide much better results. Then you can get a more aggressive polish like Poorboys SSR 2 or SSR 2.5. Let us know if you have any specific questions! I love detailing and have been doing it full time the last 3 years while I finish school. It is a hobby to me :coolman:

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Optimum Polish is supposedly an awesome polish as well. Just thought I would throw that in there! That along with the spray wax will be my next purchase from Scott @ SMP.

dodgetoford

Banned
Is there a trick to clay barring a car?, i tried to do it once when there was some overspray on my truck after i got the hood repainted i couldnt get it to work to well i ended up having to pay $20 to have them buff it off (the overspray that they got on it friken dirtbags).

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Not trying to be rude here but you detail cars on the side and you need all this info? :shrug:

Anyway just look through the threads and you'll catch on. As for claybaring, the only thing you really need to know is keep the paint lubed with water and or the supplied lube. You'll hear it picking up contaminents and feel it.

Last edited:

dodgetoford

Banned
Sorry shouldnt have said detail, big differnce to whatt i do, i just wash and wax, do boats and cars. Anything beyond a wash and wax(i do inside and tires and stuff to) is new terriotry to me.

dodgetoford

Banned
hmm ssr1 is same price as optimum polish which one should i get? Anyways i pmed sott p with my list of stuff. Close to $90. I got the micro fiber starter pack comes with a Waffle Weave Drying towel, one Glass Cleaning Towel, two Mega Plush towels and a three pack Pro Detailing Towels. I got 2 microfiber applicator pads (i have no idea if these are buffer pads or hand pads sumone help! lol). Either the optimum polish or the ssr1. A clay bar kit with lube. And the clearkote car wash (is this any good? it was only $5). I think i got it all and i plan to order it up tonight. Did i miss anything? Also biggest newbie question ever asked....what order do i do this in? My guess is wash and dry, clay bar(still need some advice with this), then polish, then wax (should it be a cleaner wax or just regular wax?).

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Wash (with Dawn Dish washer soap if you want)
Don't dry, wasted step
Claybar
Wash with the clearkote soap you got, then dry
Apply Scratch/swirl remover
Apply Polish
Apply Caranuba Wax (NOT CLEANER WAX, that will strip everything off.)

Users who are viewing this thread