Daytona Rolex 24 Trip Report

Andy M

Established Member
Folks,

Just returned from the 24 Hours of Daytona and wanted to share my experiences with you.

First, what a blast!!!! I had sooooo much fun! Was there with the Momentum Racing Team from Houston. They had an SRP-II car in the race. It is an italian made prototype with a BMW inline 6 engine (400 HP). The car weighs 1600 pounds and has a top speed near 200 mph. It was doing well keeping up with other cars in its class when an unfortunate accident happened during the 4th hour. Another car just tapped the rear of the car coming out of the Chicaane (did I spell that right?) onto the back 31 degree bank at around 130 mph and he spun out of control and slammed into the wall. Anyway, the car can be fixed but was done for this year's race.

I met Kenny Brown in person. They had a couple of cars at the Ford Racing paddock. I spent quite a while discussing the Cobra R with him. He said that they could take our rear suspension and upgrade it to make the car much better on the track, but we would need to send them the entire rear suspension to get it done. Anyone live near Indianapolis that could go over to their place and talk to them about this?

Guess what, Ford had a Thunderbird (a new one) AND a 2000 Cobra R as the pace cars for the race.

As soon as I get caught up on work stuff, I will upload and post some pics from the race.

Was there anyone else from this board who was there?

Users who are viewing this thread