Dealer whoppers, fables and stories

1stShelby

Established Member
What sort of reasons have you heard for not being able to order a 2013 GT 500?

The latest I heard was Shelby's heirs are in a legal battle with Ford so only those cars ordered before his death are being produced. This from my local dealer, while a large dealer up in DC has claimed to have an allocation for me at $3500 over MSRP.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
What sort of reasons have you heard for not being able to order a 2013 GT 500?

The latest I heard was Shelby's heirs are in a legal battle with Ford so only those cars ordered before his death are being produced. This from my local dealer, while a large dealer up in DC has claimed to have an allocation for me at $3500 over MSRP.

NOT A FORD DEALER BUT:

I was originally going to trade my SS in on a ZL1 (Decided to keep it and get a 2013 GT500 instead) before the pricing or anything was announced. So I asked the dealer "How much do you need down?" he told me $20K. I told him you've got to be joking and he said back to me "Well the ZL1 will be only made for 2012 and will cost $90K (Around the Cost of a CTS-V here in Canada). I just walked away.....

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I was told back in 2011 when I was trying to buy my Shelby GT500 and a dealer near said that there was a $5000.00 fee for just owing a Shelby GT500. The car I was looking at sat on that dealer lot for 8 months.......

VaporDude

Established Member
I thinnk you guys need to go to different dealers. The Shelby heirs have nothing to do with Ford making the cars. The only thing that I can think of that they can control is the money they make from the name. Carroll had a contract in place and I am sure he would have had something in place in the event of his death.

Agent-GHQ

Established Member
Now that's pure horse shiets! If these claims were true I think we would have already seen some kind of press news!

ToltecWarrior

Banishing Self-Importance
Established Member
About 30 days ago, I stopped by Medford Ford in Medford, NJ to inquire about the 2013 Shelby GT500. The salesperson I met at that time said that the dealership did not have pricing information yet but they would have it in 30 days. So, I returned today, asked for the same salesperson, and inquired about the vehicle. Here is a recap of my conversation with him:

Me: I am interested in purchasing a 2013 Shelby GT500 and am hoping that you have pricing information now.
Salesperson: I remember you, but I have bad news. Ford required dealers to commit to buying these cars without any pricing guidelines so we decided not to participate.
Me: Oh, I see.
Salesperson: In fact, they are not even building these cars yet!
Me: Really?
Salesperson: Yes, that's right. But I might be able to get you a 2012.
Me: Thanks, but I really want a 2013 due to the horsepower upgrade and the styling changes. They are great looking vehicles. In fact, I saw one yesterday at Lucas Ford in Burlington (about 10 miles away).
Salesperson: (silence; nothing but crickets; I heard the grassing growing and think I even heard a pin drop!)
Me: Do you think you can get one from another dealer?
Salesperson: No way! They would have to sit on the showroom floor for over a year before anyone would consider doing that.
Me: Well, thank you for your time. This has been very informative.

So, I got back in my vehicle and left the dealership. You know my vehicle, don't you? It's the turnip truck that I fell off of.

RedWhite&Blown

Established Member
I was offered a 2013 today for $79,000. Told him I believed I'd pass so he asked what I wanted to pay. I told him I'd go MSRP. He said he had a 2012 he'd let go for MSRP. Well, I laughed and said that I bet he would! He said since Shelby died the market has gone through the roof. Geez.:bash:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not Shelby specific, but I happened to drop a friend off at Beach Ford (one of the worst Ford dealers I have ever been to) in Myrtle Beach today. I enjoyed seeing their $800 up-charge for the nitrogen filling of the tires (which I doubt they even do).

Zeroescence

Established Member
Not Shelby specific, but I happened to drop a friend off at Beach Ford (one of the worst Ford dealers I have ever been to) in Myrtle Beach today. I enjoyed seeing their $800 up-charge for the nitrogen filling of the tires (which I doubt they even do).

For that price you could buy a 55 gallon nitrogen tank filled, with all the standard pressure valves and fittings and still have 400+ dollars left over. Hahaha dealers now days.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Face it guys, there is a reason pea gravel costs less than diamonds. If Ford says that they will build all that are ordered, the price would be MSRP or below. If the number is limited, the thieves will have their long knives out.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member

My god, people are effing idiots if they pay one extra cent for nitrogen filling of tires. Science fact of the day: AIR IS COMPOSED OF ~80% NITROGEN. By using an old bike pump to fill a car tire, you are getting 80% of the effect of pure nitrogen dealer BS.

Users who are viewing this thread