Detailing Assistance

RGrossman

Established Member
First off, this is not for my Cobra, but really doesnt matter...

The Z we just bought seems to have alot fo swirl marks and even some overspray. Can someone tell me how I can remove overspray and make the paint shine like it should without all the swirl marks? I just need to know what products to use and how to apply them. Looking to do this Saturday since its going to be nice all day.

mj8

Established Member
Claybar it first while keeping the surface wet with some instant detailer. My personal favorite 3M swirl mark remover for dark colors, top that off with some 3M imperial hand glaze and seal it with some good carnuba. Looks good just did mine a week ago.

The claybar will remove all overspray and paint contaminants just read the back of the box very easy to use, you can't mess it up.

mystic04

Established Member
Yep claybar then use a swirl remover like above said i use Meg's #9 on a Pc with foam bonnetts yellow if they arn't to bad you may be able to use a while or blue pad to remove the marks then follow with a glaze and sealer and a good wax. also use Mf towels.the Pc is a porter cable buffer that you can get at Autopia .org it's a detail fourm you'll learn a lot form their. check it out.

RGrossman

Established Member
Thanks for the input. So do I wash the car with say dish detergent so all wax on there is off and then claybar the car?

67_stang

Established Member
The claybar should remove all of your old wax. I have also heard that once the car has been clayed you can then wash it and let it sit for 5 minutes with panteen pro-v 2 in 1 for dry and damaged hair. Yes the hair shampoo. The shampoo has extra vitamins in it. When you put in on your car your paint absorbs some of the vitamins that it has lost from the sun/dirt/ect. I got this from a great camaro forum not to long ago. I have seen multiple pictures from people who have claimed to have done it. Makes the paint look real good. I have never done it though and I dont think it will help with your swirls, but its worth a try.

mystic04

Established Member
thats a new one for me i don't see what it could hurt but i don't think it's really going to do anything but could be wrong too. clay after you wash then wash again to make sure you got all the clay detail spray off then do your swirl remover and glaze , then wax. but do look into the Pc it's woth the money and the time you save.

Scott P

Established Member
67_stang said:
The claybar should remove all of your old wax. I have also heard that once the car has been clayed you can then wash it and let it sit for 5 minutes with panteen pro-v 2 in 1 for dry and damaged hair. Yes the hair shampoo. The shampoo has extra vitamins in it. When you put in on your car your paint absorbs some of the vitamins that it has lost from the sun/dirt/ect. I got this from a great camaro forum not to long ago. I have seen multiple pictures from people who have claimed to have done it. Makes the paint look real good. I have never done it though and I dont think it will help with your swirls, but its worth a try.

That's funny! Nice one! :-D

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Swirls can be covered up or removed. Cover up products fill in the swirl marks to make them less noticeable but the products wear off over time [like wax does] and the swirls appear again. To completely remove swirls, it is necessary to remove a little of the clear coat off so you get down to the level of the swirls. This is accomplished with a Porter Cable or similar buffer/grinder and is not a procedure for first time amateurs. It is EASY to put more swirls in than you remove. You may want to think about hiring a pro to remove the swirls. For the cost of the Porter Cable, you can have a pro shop remove the swirls. The trick is finding a tech who knows what he is doing. Ask to see some finished cars if possible before you let them touch yours. If you do want to buy a Porter Cable and do it yourself, I would practice on a beater car or some other metal surface until you learn the proper technique.

67_stang

Established Member
:lol: Thats what I said when I first heard of it. Just something out of the box. sorry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread