Difference between the Lightning motor and the 03' Cobra motor???????

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
I'm reading the lightning brochure right now, (not the single page flyer) They say Forged steel crankshaft, Forged dished top pistons, sturdier wrist pins as well, However there is No mention of strengthened con rods.

What would be the point in forging everything but the rods? I mean, come on, they're hella long in a 4.6L. A 5.4L is a stroker motor, meaning the rods are even LONGER. why wouldnt they be forged or reinforced in some way to help bulletproof the motor.

wouldnt be a good idea to throw a blower on something that couldnt handle boost. would you like to throw a rod on a blown motor???

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 66dvlbrd68
What would be the point in forging everything but the rods? why wouldnt they be forged or reinforced in some way to help bulletproof the motor.

I guess thats exactly why everyone says the cobra motor is "better" and can handle the mods without worry. The Lightning guys are on the "edge" with 15lbs of boost and more. The cobra specs specifically mention the H beam Manley Rods, I think that is THE key difference between the two motors.

dvarapala

SVT God... NOT!
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
I agree 4.6 L = 281 cc, however, the 03 Ford Cobra specs show it at 280 cc... Not that it amounts to a hill of beans, but that is the correct motor size. (may win something at Trivial Persuit or something!)

Since we're all nitpicking here, cc stands for "cubic centimeter," and 4.6 liters is NOT the same as 281 cubic centimeters. I believe you meant to use the abbrviation ci which stands for "cubic inches."

:D

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
Originally posted by dvarapala
Since we're all nitpicking here, cc stands for "cubic centimeter," and 4.6 liters is NOT the same as 281 cubic centimeters. I believe you meant to use the abbrviation ci which stands for "cubic inches."

:D

didnt notice that before...
wow...280cc ....it's a motorcycle! :)

it all depends on how you round your numbers. A 5.0L mustang motor is technically NOT a 5.0L. everyone calls it a 302 (cubic inches)...which is NOT 5.0L. 305 is exactly 5.0L.

not like it matters anyway...

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
I guess thats exactly why everyone says the cobra motor is "better" and can handle the mods without worry. The Lightning guys are on the "edge" with 15lbs of boost and more. The cobra specs specifically mention the H beam Manley Rods, I think that is THE key difference between the two motors.

well...there is another key difference....4v cobra vs 2v lightning....

the connecting rods ARE forged, however, they are not Manley forged H beam rods...hence they cannot withstand TOO much boost...

i guess it depends on the definition of FORGED....whether you mean 'stock' or 'high performance' forged..

other than that, they're all forged internally.

BlackCobra99Va

Established Member
Originally posted by 66dvlbrd68
well...there is another key difference....4v cobra vs 2v lightning....

the connecting rods ARE forged, however, they are not Manley forged H beam rods...hence they cannot withstand TOO much boost...

i guess it depends on the definition of FORGED....whether you mean 'stock' or 'high performance' forged..

other than that, they're all forged internally.

The 99-02 Lightning 2V motors ALL Have Powdered Metal Rods...Yes, they may have upgraded rod bolts on them, but they are powedered metal, NOT FORGED...ALL 5.4 2v truck motors have a Forged Crank. Also, the Lightnings have forged pistons, similar to what the 03 Cobras have...The Manley Rods in the 03 Cobras though can withstand ALOT of abuse and power, as they are a common choice for most 4.6 rebuilds....

The 03 cobra motor is nothing spectacular, just it comes with forged rods and pistons from the factory with a warranty, that is what makes them appealing....They still have the factory powdered metal trigger wheels and oil pump gears that can break at any time, they are pure junk....Accufab makes billet trigger wheels and oil pump gears for 4.6 motors that do rebuilds ( most racers put them in)....

Jeff

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
A 5.0L is a 301.5928 CI motor as in 4 inch bore and 3 inch stroke. So in reality yes it is less than 5 liters, but who wants there badge on the side to say 4.XXXXX

My 5.0 turbo engine is a 306 now though :)

Nitpicking is pointless, as even though the bore may be xxx...the piston is smaller and the rings leak some so the true swept volume is not going to be exactly bore times stroke. If it was then the piston would be seized into the bore....

280...281...280.89.... doesnt matter.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
but who wants there badge on the side to say 4.XXXXX

Pontiac used a 301 engine in the early 80's in the firebird. Remember T/A 4.9 on the shaker hood scoop? Right after the T/A 6.6 on the scoop (400 ci) and many years after the beloved SD 455. They also had a turbo in 1980, It too was the 4.9, carburated with a turbo. "Turbo 4.9" on the shaker.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Off Topic

Pontiac used a 301 engine in the early 80's in the firebird. Remember T/A 4.9 on the shaker hood scoop? Right after the T/A 6.6 on the scoop (400 ci) and many years after the beloved SD 455. They also had a turbo in 1980, It too was the 4.9, carburated with a turbo. "Turbo 4.9" on the shaker.
Didn't the turbo 301 have the offset hood bulge rather than a shaker? Or was that a later version of the same car? The fire from the screaming chicken's mouth, on the hood decal, went up the bulge toward the driver's side. I remember being in one and instead of a boost guage, there were three lights inside that bulge, facing the driver. LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH boost, lol.

Little did anyone know that less than ten years later (1989), there would be a T/A with a turbo, worth talking about :-D

Also, when they went to "6.6 LITER" on the shaker around 1980(and away from the 400), I believe the T/A came with an Oldsmobile 40X (403, maybe?). Anyone confirm this?

BBriBro

Established Member
Re: Off Topic

Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Didn't the turbo 301 have the offset hood bulge rather than a shaker? Or was that a later version of the same car? I remember being in one and instead of a boost guage, there were three lights inside that bulge, facing the driver. LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH boost, lol.
You are exactly right, my mistake, Now that I think about it, Wansn't the Carb and Turbocharger offset to one side? It was more of a "sidedraft" version that the typical downdraft on top, also with the turbo, the air cleaner wouldn't have been sitting right on top, so the shaker wouldn't have made sense at all in that application. That offset hood scoop made it to the next generation, and was real popular with all the "knight rider" 3rd gen T/As
Little did anyone know that less than ten years later (1989), there would be a T/A with a turbo, worth talking about :-D
Isn't that the truth, I had a 87 GTA 5.7, but the damn 6 cyl was quite a bit quicker, and the potential of that motor was awesome, just look at all the GNs at the drag strip.

Also, when they went to "6.6 LITER" on the shaker around 1980(and away from the 400), I believe the T/A came with an Oldsmobile 40X (403, maybe?). Anyone confirm this?
You are correct again, the "400" on the shaker was pontiac, the "6.6 LITRE" was the olds 403, there is also a subtle difference in the shaker itself, the olds motor sat lower, (or was just shorter) the shaker loooked too flat and didn't stick out of the hood as much as the pontiac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread