Distributor Question ? Need Help !!!!

351wvan

Established Member
I have a 87 Mustang Gt I picked up, and I had the heads rebuild and I have installled everything but the distributor. How do I install it and set the timing ? Mind you I did all the work my self and dont have a back round on working on cars so I need some help, HELP !!!!! hahaha

cotchnobra

Established Member
take out the number one spark plug wad up a paper towel and just barely stick it in the hole. then spin the crank shaft with a long breaker bar and socket till the paper towel pops out. this is to tell you that you are on the compression stroke. then look at the harmonic balancer and line up the 0 with the pointer. this should give you top dead center on the number one cylinder. Now you need to put the distributer in and have the rotor button where the #1 cylinder spark plug wire will be on the distributer cap. if looking at the car from the front this should be the 12 o'clock position of the distributer. now put spark plug in, connect all spark plug wires and put the cap on the distributor. leave the distributor hold down just loose enough to move the distributor. start the car. now check the timing by hooking up the black and red power leads to the batt and the clamp lead to the #1 plug wire. If you check the timing right now it should have about 10* of timing. you need to take what is call the SPOUT connector out. it is on the wire harness going to the distrubutor. it is a little black block. Now while using the timing light spin the distributor to 11-12* of timing. put the spout connector back in and timing will jump to about 21-22* of timing. the computer puts 10* of timing into the car with the spout connector in. Take the car for a test drive and see how it runs. You may have to tweak the timing just a little bit after the test drive to get it purfect.

Also check the TPS sensor on the Throttle Body that it is at .98 volts with ingnition on and car not started.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread