Do I need the stops on the steeda shifter?

NewToFord

Established Member
Do I need to install the stops when I put the shifter in? I did not use them on my t56 camaro. Do I need them on the cobra? Please help asap, I just unwrapped it, and want to put it on! Thanks

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Why wouldn't you use them? Might save a shift fork by using them some day.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
No.

Back them out. Our T56 has internal stops. Some people have had problems getting full engagement by not adequately backing out the aftermarket shifter stops.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
No.

Back them out. Our T56 has internal stops. Some people have had problems getting full engagement by not adequately backing out the aftermarket shifter stops.

Exactly right. Back them out.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
i might be missing something, but are you referring to the bolts that the shifter hits to prevent over shifting? The ones that are preset from steeda to be set in the rigth place?

Ive had no problems with engagement using the settings that steeda made before I got the shifter.

If thats what you mean I would not remove them, they are there for a reason. Read the specs on the shifter on the steeda site, they have tech docs and descriptions for what everything does and why.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
I would not remove them, they are there for a reason. Read the specs on the shifter on the steeda site, they have tech docs and descriptions for what everything does and why.

I have to agree. Why would they be there if they were not needed? And by backing them out do you guys mean to totally remove the bolts?

BBriBro

Established Member
Just be sure to adjust them properly, so that you do get full engagement, and that the shifter is not touching the stops when in gear, (any gear) that way you are still using the internal stops, but if you really force it, you will hit the bolt, which is just one more added measure of safety.

bones

Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
i might be missing something, but are you referring to the bolts that the shifter hits to prevent over shifting? The ones that are preset from steeda to be set in the rigth place?

Ive had no problems with engagement using the settings that steeda made before I got the shifter.

Steeda does not preset the stops. You need to set them after the shifter is installed. Says so in the instructions. In fact, if you remove and reinstall the shifter, Steeda says to re-set the stops.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
No.

which one is the 'internal stop' on this t56 shift rail?

shiftrail.jpg

its a trick question - there arent any. set the bolts on your shifter at .020 clearance and you'll be fine.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Check this web site -- FAQ from Tremec, indicating internal stops on T56.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/faq/faq.asp#15

They are not part of the shifter rail system. If you look at the Tremec service manual on the site you can see internal gating and detent in the trans tower where the shifter fits in. Tremec advises removing stops on aftermarket shifters. It is sufficient, however, to back them off. They are on aftermarket shifters because for most other applications they are necessary.

The stock shifter does not have stops.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Check this web site -- FAQ from Tremec, indicating internal stops on T56. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/faq/faq.asp#15

They are not part of the shifter rail system. If you look at the Tremec service manual on the site you can see internal gating and detent in the trans tower where the shifter fits in. Tremec advises removing stops on aftermarket shifters. It is sufficient, however, to back them off. They are on aftermarket shifters because for most other applications they are necessary.

The stock shifter does not have stops.

I read the site and do believe the stops may not be necessary. However, I had the stops adjusted on my T-3650 from my 02GT and never had a problem. I guess the stops are just a little extra insurance and don't hurt as long as adjusted properly.

Is there many of you guys running aftermarket shifters with the stops removed? Any probs?

Users who are viewing this thread