Do Steeda or not?

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Ordering this week?

Checked out the tri-ax on an 01 Cobra last night, been a long time since I had one in my hand.

I have to say that the stock 03 shifter is MUCH improved over the stock 01 shifter. The Steeda shifter on this car was really accurate, but the 03 shifter is not bad to keep?

How many of you have the Steeda for the 03 and would recommend it before I drop $200.

:burnout:

SVTyballz

Established Member
I was thinking that I would have to replace the stock shifter as soon as I got the car. but after driving it 1500 miles, I think I will keep the stock unit. It shifts alot better as you drive it. I still might put a Steeda handle on it though.

gary

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I am keepin my shifter stock. I like how it is smooth. The common thing on my 01 cobra and my old gt was how aftermarket shifters are so notchy and noisy and produce too much heat. I feel the stock piece is adequate for my needs but agree that the handle must go!! The long stick makes me feel like I am driving a mac truck! :lol:

Cobra'03

Established Member
I have the Tr-ax ready to install, with both the steel and the forged handles (they are different heights and thread lengths).

I will try the stock and see how it does, but the one I test drove was notchy, and if you ever power shift, positive stops are a must, although still trying to get to the bottom of the "the Cbra's T56 has internal stops" story.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I have the Tr-ax ready to install, with both the steel and the forged handles (they are different heights and thread lengths).

I will try the stock and see how it does, but the one I test drove was notchy, and if you ever power shift, positive stops are a must, although still trying to get to the bottom of the "the Cbra's T56 has internal stops" story.

Good Lord!
What do you mean by steel and forged? Does the kit come with all these or is it extra?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Steel is steel, and the forged is aluminum. Steeda has diff suppliers and when you buy you could get either - I had a porblem and they sent me a steel one, so I ended up with two having repaired the forged one.

I modded mine with special 1/16" silicone rubber to isolate the handle from the shifter, so the heat is way down, and vibration acceptable. I also used Teflon tape on the threads to further isolate my titanium knob from heat.

Red2k3cobra

I really like the feel of the stock shifter. I rather use the 200 dollars on something else. Just my opinion.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by StreetSnake
Check out the latest issue of MM&FF (Sept.) they have a write up on the Pro 50. :beer:

Can you tell us more?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I intalled the steeda tri-ax shifter and im very happy I did. A few days before installation I ran my 03 against my buddy's 02 Viper GTS. I had a lot of trouble finding third. Actually out of the 3 times I ran against the GTS I could find third only once. The othjer times I coudnt even find 3rd and my buddy made my 03 look like toast. I was very upset. I used to have a 1999 camaro ss with the 6 speed and with that transmission I never had a hard time finding gears, so Im used to the 6 speed. On my 03 Cobra I must say its a totally different story. After missing 3rd a few times I decided to go with a tri-ax shifter which I was introduced to by a friend with a 97 cobra. So I went to steeda which is about 15 mins from my house and had them intall it. It took an hour and it was ready. I think about $270 installed. At first I noticed the noise that it produced over how much better it was to shift, I was dissappointed, but now I realize there is a huge difference. When I shit now It is a lot smoother. Also 3rd is a breeze. Just pop in the clutch and bang the shifter foward and the spring loaded shifter basically finds third for me. NO MISSING GEARS ANY MORE!!!I definately feel the difference and recommend it to other 03 owners. Hope this was useful. Thanks , Black03

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by black03
Actually out of the 3 times I ran against the GTS I could find third only once. The othjer times I coudnt even find 3rd and my buddy made my 03 look like toast. Thanks , Black03

I had this problem to. Next time shift straight up, don't think about just shift UP. I also found that by moving my seat a little closer, I can fully depress the clutch pedal and keeps my arm cocked for the 2 to 3 shift. Just my 2c.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread