does anyone know the paint code for wheels..

Nukem1040

Established Member
Found this link. I'm bringing it back. Can you make the "How To"? Because I am about to redo mine and wanted to see if you ever made the list on sanding them etc? Thank you

buddha93

Established Member
Found this link. I'm bringing it back. Can you make the "How To"? Because I am about to redo mine and wanted to see if you ever made the list on sanding them etc? Thank you

What kind of shape are your wheels in?

Nukem1040

Established Member
Pretty rough. Don't know how to explain it and I think my bang for the buck is posting pics for you tomorrow to see what I'm dealing with. No curb marks, just alot of scuffs, marks and the paint going to crap.

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, I know what you've got I think. Just typical wheels with some miles on them.

Like I said in my previous post, don't take them too bare metal. They are much more grainier from the casting under all the paint and primer. I'd scuff the entire wheel pretty good and use a heavier grit where there are nicks and scrapes to try to level them out with the rest of the finish and then "blend" them back in with a finer grit.

I did use an etching primer once I finished prepping the wheels beore I sprayed them. They still look good to this day, though I've picked up a few new road chips along the way.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Here you go. Another question is what grit of sandpaper did you start with and finish with? Thanks for the help.

DSC01150.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
I honestly don't recall what I used......probably a 600 grit to start with and worked my way back to a 1000 or 1500.

Your wheels look to be in really good shape actually. A few of mine had been refinished and had a few scuffs on them. With a little elbow grease on the prep, they should turn out really nice. Be careful not to lay the paint or clear on too thick, as it'll make them prone to chiping easier.

I'm sure Stiles over on the Registry has some tips too.

Users who are viewing this thread