Dont you just love car salesmen?

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Well, theres nothing like dealing with a salesman that knows less about the vehicle then you right? Sometimes, peoples stupidity amazes me. Im actually glad these events happened, because now i feel so much better about myself. Anyways story goes: Ill be in the market for a new lightning around june(ill be trading my truck in and handing over some extra cash) but i decided to check out some used ones first.

Went to the local ford dealership and there are 2 used L's on the lot. A blue 02 with 12,000 miles. The other was a black 01 with 19 grand and some change. I'm with my dad who knows little the truck. Salesman comes up and asks how i like the fastest truck in the world. Tell him i love it(im looking at the blue one). I notice the sticker on it is $32,500. I ask him why its so much. He says the MSRP on the new ones are above 40!! I laugh in his face and tell him the invoice on them new is about 28 grand and they are usually listed for about 33 grand. Salesman proceeds to tell me this truck is "better then new" and goes on about the new 6 year or 100,000 mile warranty or something. I tell him there is no way I would pay anything over 22 for it and he starts talking up that brand new warranty again. I sit in it finally and the smell was disguesting. The owner was a smoker and then the dealership sprayed that nasty crap in it to try to get rid of the smell. It just made it worse and it smells like smokey death know.

My dad asked about the engine and it went something like this
DAD- how many horses?
Guy- over 400
me- WHAT?? How?
guy - the engine has extensive mods
me - and there is still a warranty?
guy - yes
me - pop the hood please
**pops the hood and holy Sh*t!! this engine was crazy..The "extensive mods" a big brand new air filter!! (not a new intake, just a filter)

Again i laugh and say theres no way it was 400 horsepower and he tells me its been dynoed(so he means RWHP) I tell him they dyno stock around 360 and tell him its amazing that an air filter, could give it an extra 40 rwhp.

My dad asks what SVT stands for and the dealer couldnt tell him but his response was, It's a division of ford that makes fast cars like the lightning, cobra, saleen, and the roush. I dont say anything.

After a few more minutes of listening to him tell us about why this truck is better then new, i ask him to tell me about the mach 1. Tells me there is a 5.4 in it. thats all i let him say and i left. I can't believe how some of these dealerships would allow such idiots to try to sell their cars. I can understand if he was new but thats not the best excuse. That dealership is one of the biggest in california too. I feel sorry for the poor soul who get talked into buying this "400 hp beast"

Anyways, i guess the moral of the story is to read up on the car or truck your going to buy. I can see how easy it would be to sell a truck like that to someone who knows little about it.

Rant off

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Looked at a GT before I bought my cobra, and the previous owner had made a homemade cold air kit for it using toilet plumbing and caulk, I looked at it wrinkled my nose and said that was gross and wanted a new airbox before I bought it, and he said no man, its ok all the factory ones are like that, hell it even had caulk on the fender.

Silver01GT

Established Member
Good story! I had a similar situation happen to me, this one was actualy in my favor. My dad and I were looking at a 2003 Ranger for him. They had them all lined up infront by the street. We stop and take a look. They had the cheap ones towards the end with a huge sticker on the window saying $10,000. The very last one looked diffrent than all the others so we look even closer. Aparently whoever had put the stickers on the windsheilds went one truck too many, this one had a sticker of $17,000 and was priced for 10! :rockon: Needless to say the finance manager wasn't too happy about the situation. Not my problem! :shrug:

svt4.6

Established Member
you should have told him the facts and made him look stupid . i would have . its bad when you know more than the saleman.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
i hate to hear chit like that , i do this for a living, like 16 years:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

rdvenom99

Established Member
That's truely unbelievable to work at an SVT certified ford dealer, as a salesmen, and not know what SVT stands for. What a tool! :nonono:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yep some salesman are idiots. However, my salesman was very knowledable and cool. I would buy many many more cars from him.

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by svt4.6
you should have told him the facts and made him look stupid . i would have . its bad when you know more than the saleman.

Yeah i made him look pretty stupid a couple times. At one point, he said in a very smart ass tone "well you have obviously read up on these things, huh"

No chit lol

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I really don't care if the salesman know a damn thing as long as the service department does! :bored:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
You should've told the manager about him. SVT doesn't need people like that :nonono:

Lawman

Established Member
You are right! SVT does not need people like that. When I sold cars, we were required to take a battery of tests on each vehicle that we sold, before hitting the lots. I sold Ford's, GMC's, Buick's,Pontiac's, Isuzu's, and Kia's. It was a large inventory of vehicles, with an abundant amount of info on each. You needed to score at least an 80% to advance to the next level of testing. I left the biz b/c I got tired of working 75+ hours/week:nono:

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
I hate to hear stories like that. But it makes me feel better. My salesman told me the truth about everything on my Lightning before I bought it. When I asked him a question he didn't know(I knew) he said he would go inside and check real quick, that he didn't know off the top of his head. The best part about buying the truck, was the fact that he didn't presure me at all when I was buying it. He didn't ask me if I was buying today or anything like that crap!!!

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
This reminds me of the salesman at the non-SVT dealership that tried to tell me the Mach 1 had more HP than the Cobra because of the shaker hood. I hate salesmen that will tell you anything just to get you to buy from them.

Me: "Excuse me sir, but do you sell SVT cars? I'm looking for a Cobra."
Him: "Oh, you DON'T want a Cobra! This Mach 1 has MORE power than a Cobra because of this here shaker hood!"

Grrr... :nonono:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Great story, but you have all kinds trying to sell cars. But here's an interesting point. why not try to learn something about what your selling.

Lawman

Established Member
"You don't want a Cobra! This Mach 1 has more power because of this here shaker hood!":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol1:

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Originally posted by Lawman
"You don't want a Cobra! This Mach 1 has more power because of this here shaker hood!":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol1:
:loser:

Users who are viewing this thread