Downs Ford in NJ - GT500 Gouger Scumbags!!!

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
Called up Downs Ford in Toms River, NJ this week.... talked to a salesman named Alex. Just curious what a dealership closer to me that was SVT Certified was offering for the car. Well, didn't I get a pleasant surprise!

Alex: "Yeah, the car will be going for around $30,000 - $40,000..."

Me: "Oh good, that's MSRP--"

Alex: "OVER sticker."

Me: "WHAT!? That's insane! That's double the price! I could buy a new Zo6 Vette for $10k less and have faster car!"

Alex: "Well, yeah..." (then quickly backtracking) "...but that's for people who want the car 'early.' If you want to order the car I'm sure we could work something out."

Me: "So you guys have no qualms about taking a car that is being built for the common man and turning it into a car only attainable by the upper class?"

Alex. "uhh..."

Me: "Yeah, work something out.. like only $20,000 over MSRP... you're out of your gord."

Then I hung up on him. Man did that feel good!

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
Yep, they'll end up sitting on the showroom floor like the Ford GT.
Or sitting in E-bay limbo like the same car.
Greedy bastiges. :kaboom:

And the sad thing is. Ford Motor Company will say "we just can't sell these high hot rods" So they'll stop making them.
Another "Thanks Dealers" for screwin it up for the common guy.

And don't give me that bull-pucky about "The dealers don't set prices" they sure are trying to screw this up.

But go ahead and try to get a dealership license. Sometimes I think Ford DOESN't want to sell cars !!!!!!!

Go ahead, say it: "It isn't Fords Fault"
eerrrrr :fm:

Last edited:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Ahhh, yes .... your friendly, money-grubbing salesman out to make his commission and then some.

I've gone into dealerships knowing exactly what I wanted, what it was worth, and how much I was willing to pay even before I sat down with any of those guys.

The Lightning was different, it sold itself on reputation and a test drive alone ... I wanted one, and actually got a decent deal.

I had a salesman tell me about his pregnant wife, his worries about his unborn baby, his money problems, and I sympathized with him.
....but I wanted to deal, and he didn't. He sat in his chair, made excuses to go elsewhere & talk on the phone, and just generally avoided me.

He pissed me off.

So I politely excused myself and walked across the street to the used lot, spent 2 hours on a deal for a 1994 F150 XLT and drove off.....next day, it was raining heavily as I picked up my plates from the dealership where said salesman worked.
Guess who ran out to me as I was leaving, saying he could have gotten me a sweet deal on a truck? I shut my door after telling him "...you could have, but you didn't..."

Too f*-in' bad. I don't play well with people like that. They have to work for my money just like I do.

lzr_red_cobra

Established Member
i agree. i understand that these guys have to make a living, but do you have to screw me out of mine? we all know that even at invoice they are making a killing

03reptile

Established Member
Everyone seems to have a short memory!! Remember when the 03 was coming out and everyone was obsessing over how much over sticker they would all be, etc etc. Well, a few paid an additional dealer profit, but most paid sticker and many, including myself, paid less than MSRP and I ordered mine in March 2002! There will be plenty of the GT500's available for all of us to order and Ford will make as many as they can, predicated upon demand. None of us has to pay over MSRP unless we lack the self control to bide our time and wait till they are in full production mode. I've seen this senerio played out time and time again in the past. Don't give in to the hype and supposition; Ford will produce pleny of these cars and certainly enough for all of us who want one to be able to have one. Just my experience and opinion.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
rocknrod said:
Go ahead, say it: "It isn't Fords Fault"
eerrrrr :fm:

It isn't Ford's fault.

The vast majority of dealerships aren't owned by FoMoCo, which is why dealers make far more money than the wealthiest of Ford Executives (not named Ford)...

LittleSalfromSH

Established Member
i think i went to that guy to buy my 04 and he wouldnt budge on the 33k special sticker on any of the 4 they had on the lot....

keep it...

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
They're on Route 37 in Toms River, heading towards Seaside Heights. They seem like really scummy people, and all the stories I've heard about them haven't helped.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Eater of Worlds, I know a nice family-owned dealership in the Boston area, if you want to take the trip. No deposit, MSRP, and you're on a list that they are keeping (I'm #1 on it, by the way). PM me if interested, and I will give you the salesman's name & #.

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
No worries, I already have a deal set up with another dealer in New Jersey for my twin '07 purchase. Thank you very much for the offer though, crispy. Real nice of ya! :)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
lazer red said:
i agree. i understand that these guys have to make a living, but do you have to screw me out of mine? we all know that even at invoice they are making a killing

i worked at dealer for one day. the salesman training me told stories about how he made $100,000+ every year and how he had sports cars, big boats, and all the ladies on the side that come with money. :pepper:
then he said the goal of the salesmen at this dealership is to talk the customer into something they do not want. and the best salesmen make the customer pay more than he needs to for the car that they did not want. basically theft by manipulation. after all salesmen have to eat. :dw:

anyway i went in the next day and told him that i would do everything i could to get thier customer the car that they wanted and would not play the dealerships games. we parted ways on friendly terms.

Users who are viewing this thread