Dynamat (or similar) and drone reduction?

slyguy

Established Member
Has anybody had any luck eliminating or reducing drone by using a product like Dynamat or something like it?

JL-KA

Established Member
Has anybody had any luck eliminating or reducing drone by using a product like Dynamat or something like it?

Haven't tried on a Mustang but on other cars. If you really REALLY cover the trunk area you should be able to greatly reduce it. You could go all out and pull the seats and carpet and do that too.
I reccomend Second Skin Luxury Liner(Pro if you're willing to pay the price)
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/noise-barrier/luxury-liner.php
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/noise-barrier/Luxury-Liner-Pro.php
Be prepared to spend a good chunk of change though. It gets expensive when you go for full coverage. You're gonna be in at least $300. Double that for Pro.

Last edited:

slyguy

Established Member
Not on a Mustang but If you really REALLY cover the trunk area you should be able to greatly reduce it. You could go all out and pull the seats and carpet and do that too.
I reccomend Second Skin Luxury Liner(Pro if you're willing to pay the price)
Second Skin Luxury Liner - Mass Loaded Vinyl Noise Barrier - 1.25 lbs psf Automotive MLV
Luxury Liner - Acoustic Noise Barrier and Insulation Barrier
Be prepared to spend a good chunk of change though. It gets expensive when you go for full coverage. You're gonna be in at least $300. Double that for Pro.

Thanks for the advice!

Well, my options are:

Put stock mufflers back on - don't like the sound and will add 20+ lbs, no $$$
Keep the Roushes on - not really happy with sound (beats stock though), some drone, no lbs added, no $$$
Put the Hushpowers back on and mat trunk - best sound by far, add 20 lbs, $$$, might not work
Put on GT500 mufflers - not sure about sound, add 20 lbs, $$$

I think I'm gonna mat the trunk using Pro to start with, and move to the interior/doors if needed.

slyguy

Established Member
I ordered up some of the Damplifier Pro from Second Skin. I REALLY want my HushPowers back on.

From what I've read covering the entire trunk isn't necessary and can even work against you. The magic number seems to be that covering 25% of a panel provides the optimum vibration dampening effect.

I'm going to start there (trunk area only) and see what the effect is on the drone. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll do the same on some of the interior panels.

If that doesn't work, I'll add more to the trunk area, then to the interior if needed.

If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna shoot myself:shrug:

xx24xx

Established Member
Damplifier Pro won't help keep the drone out very much, if any at all. Damplifier Pro is used to stiffen thin body panels, reducing flex and vibration. If you use enough it can create a barrier and make noise inside the cabin more efficient. What you want is a MLV barrier like Luxury Liner Pro to keep airborne noise outside. Keep in mind that stuff is heavy, at 10 pounds per sheet.

Damplifier Pro would be more useful in the doors, on the roof, trunk and rear deck. Luxury Liner Pro would go on the floor. It's too thick and heavy to put anywhere else.

slyguy

Established Member
Well, I put the Damplifier Pro on last weekend, and all I can say is what a difference!

I took the Roushes off and put the HushPowers back on, and while the drone is still there, it is less than I had with the Roushes. It's livable now, and that's what I was hoping for.

In all I applied about 8 1/2 sheets (12 x 20), at about a pound each.

I didn't coverthe entire trunk, I'd say I got roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of it covered.

My goal was to eliminate the vibration in the sheetmetal to reduce the resonance experienced inside the car.

I really didn't think it would help much, but it worked surprisinly well.

I have the convertible, which has an extra sheetmetal tub inside the trunk to hold the top when it is down. I suspected that my problems were coming from it.

I put 2 1/5 sheets on that part, and about 6 on the rest of the trunk.

I'm happy as hell with it right now.

Once it warms up again, I'll probably look at adding a little bit more in some spots to try to reduce the drone even more, but overall this was well worth doing.

Erick

Established Member
I'm surprised you have more drone with the Roush over the Flowmaster. This is the first drone complaint I've heard on the Roush mufflers. I assume you still have the resonators and cats on right?

Last edited:

slyguy

Established Member
I'm surprised you have more drone with the Roush over the Flowmaster. This is the first drone complaint I've heard on the Roush mufflers. I assume you still have the resonators and cats on right?

I think there's a little confusion.

First I put the HP axle backs on with otherwise stock exhaust (cat's resonators, etc).

HPs sounded great, but drone was excessive and annoying.

Then I put on a Lethal Off-road X pipe, JLT CAI and 93 octane tune from Jon Lund.

Not much change, if any, related to the drone. same range, same intensity.

So after while, I swapped the HPs out for the Roushes, because everyone said no drone whatsoever.

Well, they drone a little bit on my car. It's not overpowering like with the HPs, but definitely there. I would have stayed with them, but they don't sound that great with an off-road X.

So, I wound up putting the HPs back on, applied some Damplifier to try to minimize the drone, and now I'm good to go.

I think the reason I'm having more drone than most is that I have the convertible, which has an extra sheet metal tub inside the trunk. I think that is what is resonating with the HPs. Damping the vibration really calmed down the drone.

I've had lots of folks say the reason for the drone is the Xpipe, but I had the drone BEFORE I put the X on...

Anyway, this worked for me, so I thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Yo

Hey in one of your other post's I posted get rid of the X and your right the X isn't the problem 100% but it's part of the problem. The H has alot less drone I have tried both! The mufflers are the problem and at this time it seems like they all drone. I'm thinking it also has alot to do with the 3 inch pipe and it being real close to the underside of the body! I also have a convertable and have a slight drone to. I'm thinkg you should pull the top back seat and put the lining over the back and completly cover the convertable tub. Coving the trunk helps also but the tub and seat back I would think is more important! I'm going to do this also but I'm going to start behind the back seat! Do you do picks would like to see what you did!

What kit did you buy and how many sqft???
I think there's a little confusion.

First I put the HP axle backs on with otherwise stock exhaust (cat's resonators, etc).

HPs sounded great, but drone was excessive and annoying.

Then I put on a Lethal Off-road X pipe, JLT CAI and 93 octane tune from Jon Lund.

Not much change, if any, related to the drone. same range, same intensity.

So after while, I swapped the HPs out for the Roushes, because everyone said no drone whatsoever.

Well, they drone a little bit on my car. It's not overpowering like with the HPs, but definitely there. I would have stayed with them, but they don't sound that great with an off-road X.

So, I wound up putting the HPs back on, applied some Damplifier to try to minimize the drone, and now I'm good to go.

I think the reason I'm having more drone than most is that I have the convertible, which has an extra sheet metal tub inside the trunk. I think that is what is resonating with the HPs. Damping the vibration really calmed down the drone.

I've had lots of folks say the reason for the drone is the Xpipe, but I had the drone BEFORE I put the X on...

Anyway, this worked for me, so I thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

Erick

Established Member
I was watching your vid and I was surprised because it was the first time I didn't like the Roush axleback until I realized it was with the O/R X. The Flows sound much better with the O/R X.

slyguy

Established Member
Hey in one of your other post's I posted get rid of the X and your right the X isn't the problem 100% but it's part of the problem. The H has alot less drone I have tried both! The mufflers are the problem and at this time it seems like they all drone. I'm thinking it also has alot to do with the 3 inch pipe and it being real close to the underside of the body! I also have a convertable and have a slight drone to. I'm thinkg you should pull the top back seat and put the lining over the back and completly cover the convertable tub. Coving the trunk helps also but the tub and seat back I would think is more important! I'm going to do this also but I'm going to start behind the back seat! Do you do picks would like to see what you did!

What kit did you buy and how many sqft???

I thought that having the pipes so close to the underside was part of it too, but I still have the stock over-axle/resonators which aren't 3". I did try to move them around and get them farther away from the car to see if that would help.

I have to tear the rear interior apart to put in some new speakers that I got for Xmas from my wife, and I'm planning on taking the rear seat out then and seeing if I can cover some more stuff up with the Damplifier.

I put the speakers in the doors yesterday, but there really wasn't any need to put Damplifier in the doors - they are already pretty well covered from the factory.

I'm guessing the fenders in front of the rear wheels will be the same, but I'm hoping that there are some areas I can cover behind and under the rear seat.

I'll let you know what I find when I get in there...

I ordered the Damplifier Pro™ Bulk Pack - 36.50 sq feet($159.97) from Second Skin.

I didn't take any pics - since everything is covered up I didn't care what it looked like. I wanted to stop the vibration and still add the least amount of weight possible - so it isn't very pretty.

I will get some pics for you and post them up tho.

grnenvy

Established Member
sound

Keep us posted.

I thought that having the pipes so close to the underside was part of it too, but I still have the stock over-axle/resonators which aren't 3". I did try to move them around and get them farther away from the car to see if that would help.

I have to tear the rear interior apart to put in some new speakers that I got for Xmas from my wife, and I'm planning on taking the rear seat out then and seeing if I can cover some more stuff up with the Damplifier.

I put the speakers in the doors yesterday, but there really wasn't any need to put Damplifier in the doors - they are already pretty well covered from the factory.

I'm guessing the fenders in front of the rear wheels will be the same, but I'm hoping that there are some areas I can cover behind and under the rear seat.

I'll let you know what I find when I get in there...

I ordered the Damplifier Pro™ Bulk Pack - 36.50 sq feet($159.97) from Second Skin.

I didn't take any pics - since everything is covered up I didn't care what it looked like. I wanted to stop the vibration and still add the least amount of weight possible - so it isn't very pretty.

I will get some pics for you and post them up tho.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
You'll have some area that can be covered under the rear seat. lots of open sheet metal back there. I just changed my cloth interior to leather is why I know. The rear seat is super easy to remove. The bottom doesn't require any tools. Two tabs/levers to undue and it comes right out. Theirs a video on you tube for mustang leather install if you wanted to watch how. You shouldn't need it though.

grnenvy

Established Member
yes

I'm thinking covering under the rear seat and where the conv top lays (tub)will make a huge diff for us convertable guys. The trunk will help but not as much. Someone needs to come out with a lightweight well insulated muffler. I know the dynomax ULTRA flow muffler would be perfect but they don't make it yet. We need a straight through muffler with alot of fiber packing inside! I never liked the mufflers placed in the back the old school 5.0 had it right. But then again the gas tank location is so much better now.

You'll have some area that can be covered under the rear seat. lots of open sheet metal back there. I just changed my cloth interior to leather is why I know. The rear seat is super easy to remove. The bottom doesn't require any tools. Two tabs/levers to undue and it comes right out. Theirs a video on you tube for mustang leather install if you wanted to watch how. You shouldn't need it though.

slyguy

Established Member
Here's an update:

Well, I swapped out the HPs for the GT500 ABs, and I'm glad I took another chance on yet another different exhaust.

When comparing the GT500 mufflers with an OR X on my car to videos of the GT500 mufflers on cars without an OR X, it's definately louder with the X than without. I am going to add them to a video that I already made that compares the Roushes with an OR X to the Hushpowers with an OR X.

The tips on the GT500 ABs aren't as nice as both the Roushes and the Hushpowers, and they are about 1/2" shorter, but with the complete lack of drone on them I can live with it.

This summer, I will probably weld some different tips on them...

I also prefer the black body of the Hushpowers - all you see is the tips, not the body of the mufflers.

It's not totally overpowering like the Roush and HPs were, but it will definately get you noticed when you stomp on the go pedal. The drone is gone, but you can still hear the exhaust from inside the car. Now I can listen to the radio if I want to, which is nice because I recently upgraded my speakers!

I can't tell any difference at all power-wise. It feels the same to me with all 3 ABs.

I will post it on Youtube tomorrow, and will post a link here for you guys.

The current video is here: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iwNZ7X1IQ"]YouTube - Roush vs. Hushpower on 2011 Mustang GTCS.wmv[/nomedia]

So tomorrow's video will compare Roush ABs, Hushpower ABs and GT500 ABS, all with the Lethal OR X pipe, stock over axle pipes and stock resonators.

For me, the exhaust seach is finally over!!! It took 3 months and 3 tries, but I finally got the sound I want, and no drone at all.

I'm trying to put some miles on before I take the vid to give the mufflers a chance to burn in a little bit and to try to represent the true sound.

They are a little louder and a little deeper already, after only a couple hundred miles on them.

Needless to say, I won't be adding any more Damplifier to the car - now it's not needed.

I don't regret adding what I already did - the car is quieter on the inside than it was. But I don't think adding any more will make much of a difference now...

Users who are viewing this thread