E4od

68 lightning

Established Member
What, if anything is different about the transmssion in the 1st gen Lightnings compared to the regular F150? This shop manual on CD that I have does not speak of any but then again they don,t know about the aluminum driveshaft either. They list stall speed for the E4OD/w/5.8 as 2100-2600 and that has to mean Lightning but other than that is there any differences?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I don't believe their are any differences...

I do know the E40D was updated throughout the years from 92 to 96, 96 being the strongest.

68 lightning

Established Member
The output shaft on the L,s E4OD offsets about 4 inches from center. To transplant it into the Ranchero, I would have to mod not only the trans tunel but the driveshaft tunel also. I saw a thread about a 460/E4OD swap to Fairlane and the tailshaft on that tranz was centered in the vehicle. It may be a better option for me to use that type E4OD since the L,s tranz isn,t anything special.

68 lightning

Established Member
the 460 and 7.3's have different bellhousings....

the motors are offset in the trucks, so thats why it looks offset underneath.

When I measure from frame on driver side to center of driveshaft I get 20 and some inches. From frame on passenger side to center of drivshaft I get 16 and some inches. It does look like the offset is in the transmition but you are saying this is because the motor is offset. Is that correct? I will take another look this weekend when I get time. I also have to get the brakes to hold better so I can test my stall speed. The PO said it had an aftermarket torque converter and it would be nice to see where it stalls at.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
When I measure from frame on driver side to center of driveshaft I get 20 and some inches. From frame on passenger side to center of drivshaft I get 16 and some inches. It does look like the offset is in the transmition but you are saying this is because the motor is offset. Is that correct? I will take another look this weekend when I get time. I also have to get the brakes to hold better so I can test my stall speed. The PO said it had an aftermarket torque converter and it would be nice to see where it stalls at.

I do know that the motor and trans is offset towards the passenger side, but how many inches i am unsure of. But it should be obvious that its not dead center in the engine bay since its easy to access the spark plugs on the drivers side but not on the passenger side.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Uhh guys the drivetrain is offset to accomodate the 4X4 model trucks.. the front driveshaft runs down under the driver seat, requiring the drivetrain to be offset. They simply didn't center them on 2WD trucks so the crossmembers aren't so much different.

68 lightning

Established Member
The engine does set over to the passenger side about 2 inches. I don,t know why i didn,t see that in the first place. But it is all good news for me. It looks like I can use the E4OD/engine/harness/PCM in the swap. Also my PSOM is good for another 6 reprograms and with the brakes applied, the engine would achieve 2200 rps so it sounds like my stall converter is OK.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The engine does set over to the passenger side about 2 inches. I don,t know why i didn,t see that in the first place. But it is all good news for me. It looks like I can use the E4OD/engine/harness/PCM in the swap. Also my PSOM is good for another 6 reprograms and with the brakes applied, the engine would achieve 2200 rps so it sounds like my stall converter is OK.

you dont need a 120mph speedo, ill buy yours and ill send you my perfect PSOM from my bronco :-D

I guess you are going to keep the engine speed density?

68 lightning

Established Member
you dont need a 120mph speedo, ill buy yours and ill send you my perfect PSOM from my bronco :-D

I guess you are going to keep the engine speed density?

I hope to keep it speed density and use my harness and pcm to save a few bucks. I guess it would be easier to use an aftermarket mass system with stand alone trans controller but would be more rewarding for me if I can reuse what I have.
It is looking like a lot of OT for me this summer with my new job but hope fully this fall and winter I will have some money and time to actually get started.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I hope to keep it speed density and use my harness and pcm to save a few bucks. I guess it would be easier to use an aftermarket mass system with stand alone trans controller but would be more rewarding for me if I can reuse what I have.
It is looking like a lot of OT for me this summer with my new job but hope fully this fall and winter I will have some money and time to actually get started.

you could always get a MAF off a 351W in a F150 or bronco, i know ford racing used to sell a MAF swap for lightnings.... And theirs a sponsor on the bronco forum that makes and sells the harnesses for a MAF swap

Users who are viewing this thread