Electrical seat adjustment - need help

Arnor 97 Cobra

Established Member
Hey, I just noticed that the move forward function on the electric drivers seat has stopped working. But I still can move it up and down and know that the backwards function still works (I see the dimming of the inside light when the motor draws power). I know that some of my fellow Cobra owners have had the same snag but I dont remember what the main cause was nor the fix. Can anyone refreshen my memory?

Low151

Established Member
Me too!!!

I can't get mine to go up or down either. It makes a very bad noise when you try.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It sounds like the one motor might be bad, or the wiring harness has a short on it.

If the lights are diming when you push the switch, but the seat doesn't move the motor is trying to pull but can't. It might be bad or the track might have something jammed in it.

If nothing happens when you push the switch and the lights do not dim, the harness might be bad or the motor might be shot completely.

cobraman96

Mine just started doing that, too. It moves up and down but wont go forward or reverse. I think it's the motor going bad because I checked the track and there is nothing in the way.

CobraFreak1996

Established Member
There was a similar post on this on scoa.org. Mine did it too with 2 different seats and 2 different switches. The both would go forward, up and down. I could reverse polarity to both seats and it would go back fine but not forward. It seemed like it may be in the switch itself. I took both apart and cleaned them but to no avail. I eventually got the seat where I wanted it and just unplugged it so it would get messed up.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well I would check the track as mentioned... but it's also possible that the switch is bad... hopefully.
I've had the same thing happen on another car, and I was lucky enough to just swap out the switch and it worked again :thumbsup:

Arnor 97 Cobra

Established Member
How do you approach this then?

Thanks all for your great replies.

I'm gonna check this but I wonder, do I have to pull the seat out or can I do it with the seat in? Is it difficult to take the seat out?
Am I not correct in assuming that there are only 2 motors, one for up and down and one for forward/back? Or are they four? Is there one or several circuit breakers for the seat?

I'm gonna check the switch and cabling first and if that wont do the trick then the motor must be fried or something.

Last edited:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I'll be taking the Cobra out shortly here... I'll inspect it, but you should be able to tell also by looking at it.

If for whatever reason you have to take the seat out.... they come out WAY easy. There's a bolt on each of the 4 seat corners that needs to come out (seat will need to be moved forward or back to get at one or the other), then simply unplug the wiring harness and lift the heavy SOB out! Be careful when pulling it out, it's easy to scrape/scratch the plastic scuff panel with the bottom of the seat :::raises arm::: :rolleyes:

\\Tim

Users who are viewing this thread