Engine Heat

skstang

Established Member
Anyone else getting allot of engine heat through the firewall?
I've got a convertible. I cant imagine in it a coupe. Not flaming the coupes just saying.:burn:

haskett

Established Member
You don't mean to imply that those hood vents are more for styling than function, are you ? :p

cobra_hoodvent.jpg

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Chop them suckers off and open up that hood blanket, I did!

Lots of heat comes up through my FULLY OPEN, FREE FLOWING HOOD VENTS.

check sig for mod

SVTyballz

Established Member
Cut that hood blanket to fit the holes, and cut off those plastic flaps. Postban started this trend, there are links to pics of it in his sig. I did the exact same thing but I used duct tape to trim out the larger opening. Any rain or wash water just drips on the coolant tanks. There is an issue with leaving them open if you live in a state where freeze is concerned. But it sure breathes easier. When it is raining, water tries to flow into the vents but goes straight up in the air.

gary

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Interesting about the hot cabin....... My 95 5.0 Cobra's interior was so hot in the summer, that my right leg sweated bullets while driving. I had bought the car new, but the dealer could find nothing wrong, including testing for abnormal emissions which might indicate a cat or other problem.

I reduced the heat by adding Whitney heat insulation benath the car's carpet. Been running it since (122K).

eddy z

Established Member
yep, my car is much hotter than my 98 vert was... blame it on the SC and lack of room for the engine to breathe. will enventually do what postban did.. open those vents up. i also took off my rubber seal on the firewall that connects to the hood.. this also releases heat..

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Another variant on the hood blanket mod is to use fiberglass resin on the raw edges after the cut. I masked back 1 ½ inches then brushed a heavy coat of resin on the blanket, it soaked in well. This formed a hard ridge around the hole. Sanded the area and painted the entire blanket with high heat flat black spray paint. It left the area with the resin with a little shine, but it looks good to me, I could not find any trim that I liked or thought would last.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The resin Idea is excellent, also liked the duct tape one. I was looking for black duct tape but could not find any.

I am using RUBATEX Insulation Tape (adh pipe wrap) and it sticks so-so in the corners but good on the straight sides.

Drove home through a hell of a rainstorm today and had just a small amount of water coming up through the vents. Not the "torrent" I had imagined.

Hood blanket is mostly dry except for front 4-6 inches. No water was sitting in the bottom of the air box when I checked after driving through the storm (worried about cold air feed mod, but no problem).

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Not postban, but it looks like your standard 5,4,3,2,1 South East North Carolina ramp, gives you 7 1/2 inches of lift and is made with 2 8ft. 2X6's per side. Only 1 foot of waste (5-3, 4-2-1). Be careful that you do not drive off the end.

Last edited:

cubes

Established Member
Is there a way to make the plastic flap waterproof and quick change? Aftermarket companies are you listening?

gcawad

Established Member
Originally posted by cubes
Is there a way to make the plastic flap waterproof and quick change? Aftermarket companies are you listening?

I did not cut mine off; just bent them back and used 2 sided insulation tape and stuck them to the hood in case i wanted to change it back. With a larger hole cut you could stick them to the hood blanket, if you can get them to adhere to it. Then you could close them up whenever you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread