Exhaust and programmer??

Hillbillyred

Established Member
Hey guys i have an 02 f250 thats due to return to me from the trans shop any day. I ran a superchips programmer on it since the second day i owned the truck almost ten years ago. I have since put that tuner in my 99 f450. I need to install a new exhaust for inspection reasons here in tx. I previously ran just staright pipes but that wont pass here in tx or so im told. Im from louisiana and moving to tx. So what exhaust or muffler wud be similar to strait pipe volume and sound as good or better? I can do the install myself like a large glasspack or muffler and tip? Then which is a good tuner these days... On a budget. I have a boss 302 that i will get expensive on! This is strictly a trk i tow my travel trlr with and drive to work sometimes. Im just looking for good sound and as much power as i can safely pull out of the old 7.3! I also do have a k&n cold air intake to install at same time by the way. Any info would be appreciated!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
For the 7.3 I'd recommend Matt @ Gearhead. I'm running his stuff in my 6.0L for the last 19months or so and really like it. You may also looked at PowerHungry Performance. I also am running an MBRP exhaust and like it as well. IMO exh;6austs are all simliar flow wise its the quality and ease of installation that will differ.

Hillbillyred

Established Member
For the 7.3 I'd recommend Matt @ Gearhead. I'm running his stuff in my 6.0L for the last 19months or so and really like it. You may also looked at PowerHungry Performance. I also am running an MBRP exhaust and like it as well. IMO exh;6austs are all simliar flow wise its the quality and ease of installation that will differ.

Thanks ill give it a look. I just want an updated programmer for the trk i know the gains wont be as good as some for the newer trks but hope that maybe there is a lil more in some of the newer ones than mine that is ten years old.

Hillbillyred

Established Member
Well its been a little while but figured id give a lil update. Got trk back from trans overhaul. Terrible job the thing leaked like a siv after and shop that did the work closed up and shut down. I fixed some of the leaks but one was going to require removal of the trans again. After a few thousand miles the hpop started leaking again. Trk also developed a slight miss and a very aggravating popping noise some where in the front end that i could not find. I had given up and taken it to the dealer where i bought my '13 boss last year and dropped it off for about $4000 worth of repairs. I was just getting ready to turn them loose on it when a '14 f-350 single wheel lariat in tuxedo black caught my eye. Long story short bye bye 7.3 hellloooo 6.7. With just over 8k miles since november ill say its a very nice trk and one hell of a hard puller. Any way thanks to all you guys that offered opinions on my original post, hopefully someone else can find this thread and use the info supplied.

americansteel

Banned
As a guy using a 2001 7.3 for towing the MBRP Down pipe is the way to go. DP tuners for all ford diesel engines. SCT is terrible. air aid screw K&N

Users who are viewing this thread