factory shifter questions-thanks in adv

rulojoe

my car is new and to me the shifter feels fine, better than the old hurst and inland shifters of old , but as i see it this is a very common mod for the 2003`s. are the pro 5.0 shifters that much better, in that they are shaped, angled better, for better reach? like i say mine feels fine but it is too far away from me and i`m 6`1" ,must be hell for the shorter guys, and i hear the factory shifter doesn`t have adjustable stops, which creates wear and tear and undue stress on parts any help in this area is appreciated. thanks rulojoe

Silver 03 Cobra

The T56 has internal stops unlike other trans in previous Cobras.

Unless you get a custom handle, installing a pro 5.0 will not impprove the reach. The Pro 5.0 shifter handle is a lot shorter than the stock handle making the reach even further. You can buy their bushing kit and use the stock shifter handle on their shifter.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
You can buy their bushing kit and use the stock shifter handle on their shifter.

Or you can make your own bushings like i did (search for my name and Pro 5.0 and you should get the posts i made about it).

Others have also made their own.

You can even attempt to remove the rubber and make bushings to mount the stock handle on the stock shifter. Anything is possible, although i do like the feel of the aftermarkets better. More "solid" i guess is the term.

Oh, and I'm 6'2". The pro 5.0 shifter handle was FAR to short and WAY too far a reach for me.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I used a Pro 5.0, but with the stock handle, which I heated up and bent for a better reach (you need a bushing kit to use the stock handle on the aftermarket shifters). The Pro 5.0 will give you shorter throws and a more precise feel.

CWCobra

Established Member
I, too, did the "heat it up and bend it" shifter mod. My shifter location is perfect now, and best of all, it came in at zero cost.
Later,
CW

stvdman

Established Member
I think I am gong to go with the MGW handle and keep the stock shifter. I have yet to miss a 2-3 shift at the track and with the built in stops in the tranny I am perfectly fine with the stock shifter for now, EXCEPT for how far away it is from me, which the MGW handle should cure.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
what part ofthe handle exactly did you heat up and bend? the last bend right where the threads are? i've been looking at doing this but i wanna make sure im doing it right

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
what part ofthe handle exactly did you heat up and bend? the last bend right where the threads are? i've been looking at doing this but i wanna make sure im doing it right
I heated it and bent it way down at the very first bend near the flat area where the bolts go. I bent it both back and to the left.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
thanks for the reply....i just did mine the other day but i did the upper bend by the shifter knob...it came out perfect, the way it shouldve came from the factory

Users who are viewing this thread