Fake ShelbyGT500 (Mossy Ford in Pacific Beach, CA)

sdfrog177

Established Member
So yesterday I am driving to a buddy's house and I look over and see what I thought was a new red with white striped 07 Shelby sitting out front of Mossy Ford in PB. I decided to stop and take a look at it and mabey even mess with a greedy salesperson if the opportunity came up. This car looked exactly like a Shelby, it even said GT500 on the lower rockers on both sides of the car. I look inside and see it has a 5 speed and wonder what's up. Looking at the window sticker it reads "$12,000 dealer mark up for a Shelby appearance package". Are you kidding me, this GT basically stickers for what a 07 REAL Shelby should cost. I also think its a disgrace the dealers can sell something that advertises a model that it isn't, bad enough they get away with all the insane markups (for a few more months anyway). Mabey if it didnt say GT500, it would'nt be as bad. I know plenty of people out there put cobra emblems on their GT's, cobra R hoods, fake emblems etc... that is their choice for mods after the car leaves the lot. But to have a dealer actually market and sell something bogus+false advertising???? Anyone else seen this at other Ford dealers across the country?

Last edited:
no at least in Lafayette,Louisiana.Ounce they realize its a Want-A-Bee-2007-Shelby Gt500,they'll wake up from there Dream Car Dream and walk out of this Dealership with a Want-A Bee Shelby Gt500. There are a lot of other want a bee cars out there so just do your home work before buying.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Yup a local dealer had a fake one and my brother went to look at it to just mess with the dealer, a lady came up to him and my brother goes "GT500 huh?!" and the lady happily told him yes it is, it has a 4.6L v8. My brother then goes "you do realize that the REAL GT500 has a supercharged 5.4" then the lady got all sad and didnt know what to say. My bro says he even felt bad after he told her the truth of things and that he actually knew about cars because the lady got so sad looking about it. It cracked me up when he told me about it. FAKERS FTL!

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Sad!

I guess dealers are so hungry to get their greedy hands on a GT500 that they'll stoop as low as this just to have something on thier lot that looks like the real thing.

Oh well I guess the more fakes there are out there the more the real GT500's will be worth later down the road!

I too feel sorry for the schmuck that pays good money for one of these cars especially if he doesn't realize he's only getting a clone (IFthey ever sell it).

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Funny seeing this, I went there after my wife drove by there said they had one. Was so dissapointed after the 25 minute drive to find it was a fake. What a rip, $12k for a body kit and wheels...

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I have a feeling that some rich sucker that knows absolutely nothing about cars will get sucked into thinking its a real shelby Gt500.

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
Clones

Yeah It's funny how these things are popping up. Here are a couple of good ones.

01.jpg

And this one is funny - notice the GT emblems and AT.

00e8_12.JPG

521d_12.JPG

62da_12.JPG

bluestreak89

Established Member
creative advertising? :shrug: , I'm sure someone has bought one of these thinking it was a real shelby and there might be a lawsuit pending when they find out otherwise. But on the same token the 07 SVT Shelby Cobra Gt500 has so many freaking names people will sell whatever part of the name they can to trick people.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It's actually just a '07 Shelby GT500. We the consumer have dubbed the other names onto it, not Ford. But I do see your point :)

-Jeff

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Unbelievable.. I want to say I'm suprised Ford hasn't cracked down on this practice as it dilutes the brand equity and casts a pretty bad light on Ford- what would happen if the Chevy dealers started selling C6 Vettes with a "Z06 appearence package" or "Neon SRT-4 appearence kit with real SRT-4 wing and simulated dual exhaust". I wouldn't mind a C280 with dealer-installed AMG E55 emblem package...

No to mention the clones running around getting their azzes handed to them and the idiot who thinks he just waxed a real GT500..."but I heard the blower whine.. i did...really..I BEAT A GT500 IN MY STOCK STi !!" ect....

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
WILDTHANG said:
Yeah It's funny how these things are popping up. Here are a couple of good ones.

01.jpg

And this one is funny - notice the GT emblems and AT.

00e8_12.JPG

521d_12.JPG

62da_12.JPG

That's disgusting.... This isn't Puerto Rico!!! (or is it?)

sdfrog177

Established Member
FakeShelby005.gif
FakeShelby004.gif
FakeShelby003.gif
FakeShelby002.gif
FakeShelby001.gif

This is insane, how can a Ford dealer get away with this false advertising. It discredits Ford and the Real Shelby in my opinion. Anyone who buys this thing is a :loser:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
In all honesty I am surprised that Ford and Shelby have not stepped in to stop this. They really could if they wanted to.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If Ford is so sue-happy over the use of the Mustang name (i.e. aftermarket companies w/Mustang in the name) why don't they go after these asshats?

ELITE1

addicted to SVTP
Established Member
LOL, I was driving to work today and saw what I thought was a fellow GT500 owner, it was blue with white stripes, I pulled up to it and low and behold it was a fake, the best part was it was a V6...HAHAHAHAHA. I just shook my head and drove off, what a an asshat! I can't believe they are selling those cars like that.

Users who are viewing this thread