Fines in California for no CATS?

gud2goe

Established Member
mawaim,,,,thanks for the specific info...i couldn't find it. i was just trying to give some general info. the offense on an extreme basis could lead to impound and large financial impact was all i was saying......

but cats have been know to not be on some cars ....LOL

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by gud2goe
mawaim,,,,thanks for the specific info...i couldn't find it. i was just trying to give some general info. the offense on an extreme basis could lead to impound and large financial impact was all i was saying......

but cats have been know to not be on some cars ....LOL

No problem, your info is good stuff and under EPA rules it most likely could lead to such consequences. And your right, some cars have been known to run around with no cats................lol, like my 97 Cobra did for quite some time.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
In my 98GT I had a CHP on a bike follow me up an on ramp and pull me over as soon as I got on the freeway.

He asked me "why is your 'exhaust note' so loud?"

I said um because the supercharger pushes more air into the engine (had a Carb # right there on the Procharger so I was hoping he'd ask to see the hood :D ).

He actually got down on his knees on the driverside (towards traffic - I was on the right shoulder, WTF?) to check for cats. Luckily I had a catted Bassani on there and was not yet running my LTs and off road H.

After checking, he let me go :shrug:

On a side note, my friend's 97GT has 3 chamber flows, turn downs, and an offroad H. A cop pulled next to him and said "is that all you got?" (referring to him driving slow around the cop), and said "I used to have a 87? GT, NO CATS, JUST LIKE YOU!" He just smiled then nailed it and took off. :D

Stal

Established Member
Cats

I feel sorry for anyone who lives in the Republic of california. Just drive geo Metro's, or Hona Civic's, and don't even think about owning a firearm. CONFORM that should be California's moto.:bowdown:

ntechnic

Established Member
Don't feel sorry for Cali, these are Federal laws and last I heard Colorado was still in the union.

You know, there are people all over the country making 600+ hp in these cars, blowing through high-flow cats. Your lungs, my lungs, and our kids lungs, are priceless--we don't need the smog we breath from the 300+ million US cars to be any worse do we?

On behalf of my four year old son, my wonderful, happy boy, who happens to have asthma, please consider running one of the aftermarket high-flow cats on your car. You can be socially responsible, legal (no looking over your shoulder worrying crap ya know what I mean?), and friggin' fast with 600+ hp, all at the same time.

Thank you.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
Don't feel sorry for Cali, these are Federal laws and last I heard Colorado was still in the union.

You know, there are people all over the country making 600+ hp in these cars, blowing through high-flow cats. Your lungs, my lungs, and our kids lungs, are priceless--we don't need the smog we breath from the 300+ million US cars to be any worse do we?

On behalf of my four year old son, my wonderful, happy boy, who happens to have asthma, please consider running one of the aftermarket high-flow cats on your car. You can be socially responsible, legal (no looking over your shoulder worrying crap ya know what I mean?), and friggin' fast with 600+ hp, all at the same time.

Thank you.

True statement...I had the cats off for a short period of time, enough to dyno. Truth be told I really did not see any HP gains with them off, so back on they went and you know what, the low-end grunt feels better as well.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've never had a problem with running hi flow cats. I don't like the smell of raw exhaust. Plus, anything is better as long as its not the "factory 6".

gud2goe

Established Member
ntech,,, true true true for everyone. but as cats do help: with todays o2 sensors and the odbII systems the cat is the last line of defense. if you have a properly tuned car running it should(regular maintenance) pass an emmission test(except cali). i ran an off road h pipe in az and had no prob passing emmisions on my 93cobra. now i live in memphis and half the cars here couldnt pass in mexico city....lol........................but the 80 caddy with 22's and dvd screens is stylin and profilin...lol

Last edited:

mikep01

Established Member
im not sure where it is stated, if the judge sees it fit, he can crush your car and not give it back. with the way they are going after street racing this is going to happen soon. i too perfer the sound without cats, rethinking it now im goung w\ a catted x.

Users who are viewing this thread