First AutoCross Event with the ST...

PhantomX

Established Member
What an awesome little car to take to the Autocross. This was actually an Endurocross event so we got a bigger track, more laps and consistent runs in. Overall an absolute blast. The car did really really well. The handling is just fantastic to be honest. I thought it was going to understeer all over and just be a handful to drive but I was completely wrong (happily so). I actually got the car to kick the ass end out on a couple occassions, granted it did open up and pour right before my run so we made the best of a soaked track.

Overall I was only 10 seconds slower than the leader in my class and he got to run on a dry track so I was pretty damn impressed with that he ran 2.98.xx and i did a 3.09.xx and I was also carrying a passenger. He was driving a Blue Mazdaspeed 3. Would have loved to get another dry run in to see what it was really capable of doing.

Anyway I look forward to more of these for sure and maybe some additional suspension upgrades but honestly it's so much fun just stock I'm not sure I want to mess with it. Here's the Video of the run

http://youtu.be/P_1k73taR5o

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Congrats man! Yeah, the Focus ST is an absolute riot on the track. They just love being tossed around. I've taken mine to 3 AutoX events (the most recently being yesterday) in Orlando and every one has been a blast. I've had the FRPP catback exhaust for a few months now and finally broke down and ordered the rest of the FRPP FR1 Power Package last week. Unfortunately, the tune didn't get here until today. So I hooked it all up and took it for a spin. The power (specifically torque) gains are incredible! Can't wait to see how it feels next time I'm out on the cones.

I'll have to look into the EnduroX. My runs are usually only 40-50 seconds long. Being out there for 2-3 minutes would be even more fun.

PhantomX

Established Member
How are you liking the FRPP tune? I've heard some complain that the car falls flat after 5K RPM? Also how do you like the Exhaust? Does it drone? I'd love some sound out of this thing but i don't want it droning me to death in the car.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I am very pleased with the tune. I haven't had a chance to really flog it since the install (my street racing days are long behind me). But as far as zipping around on my daily commute, it's a blast. There aren't particularly big horsepower gains, but it is available at a much lower RPM and on a more consistent curve. And the torque... My god the torque. I haven't dyno'd mine, but the runs that I've seen put it at around 360 ft/lbs to the wheels.

I was shocked at how weak the stock exhaust is. If it wasn't for the sound symposer, it damn near wouldn't sound any different than the base Focus. The FRPP (Borla) exhaust is absolutely perfect. A throaty idle, aggressive note on acceleration, an intoxicating burble on deceleration, and no drone at cruising speeds. My friends taste in performance cars runs the gambit from American muscle to import to European and it is one of the few exhausts that literally pleases everyone. I really wish I owned some quality sound recording equipment. Every time I tell someone about how good the FRPP catback is, I think to myself "You would understand if I could just SHOW you!"

PhantomX

Established Member
That's great feedback! I'm sold. I know Steeda has some tunes for the car as well and there is' running really good, but they also use the FRPP catback and I've always been a fan of Borla. Does kinda make sense now why it's such a high price tag though. I do kinda love the idea of having it all under warranty when it comes to tuning as well so that makes the FRPP stuff even more attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread