First LOOK at the S550 IRS !!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

FIRST LOOK AT THE S550 IRS !!

IRS_2_zps40936e89.jpg

Our friends at The Driveshaft Shop (www.driveshaftshop.com) sent us over some killer pics of the new 2015 Mustang GT IRS rear end. We'll post more info on our site as we get it, so keep checking back. Also, Make sure to LIKE & Follow Us on Facebook , Twitter , & Instagram for all the '15 Updates!!

For more photos of the IRS, Visit : http://www.lethalperformance.com/info/2015-ford-mustang-gt-first-look-at-irs !! #teamlethal #dss #svtperformance

IRS__zpsde713a15.jpg

IRS_5_zpse20b1c86.jpg

TeamLethal

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not too bat for such a chunk. I like that they are using an aluminum extrusion as the cage for the carrier bearing.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
That's what the center bearing on a 2 piece driveshaft is called.

I couldn't tell from the pic, but I thought that is what it looked like. Why has Ford gone to two piece driveshafts? The 03/04 had an aluminum one piece. The 13/14 are using a 1 piece carbon fiber unit. It can't be because of length, as the Lightnings used 1 piece shafts 01+ being aluminum.

It would think with all the engineering in this car, they would've put a nice lightweight aluminum driveshaft.

Voltwings

Established Member
Those were all SVT models.
A. gotta save money somewhere
B. Gotta give the SVT model "exclusive" things.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I couldn't tell from the pic, but I thought that is what it looked like. Why has Ford gone to two piece driveshafts? The 03/04 had an aluminum one piece. The 13/14 are using a 1 piece carbon fiber unit. It can't be because of length, as the Lightnings used 1 piece shafts 01+ being aluminum.

It would think with all the engineering in this car, they would've put a nice lightweight aluminum driveshaft.

Mostly NVH. There's just more chance of NVH with a one piece shaft and traditional u-joints.

BMR Tech

^ That is accurate/correct Travis

The two-piece design "typically" provides better NVH characteristics.

It also enables a wide range of pinion angle use....without having to modify angles from NVH increases.

twistedneck

Established Member

In order to produce a driveshaft that has the capability to spin as fast as it needs to and support maximum rpm in 5th gear you either need a really short aluminum drive shaft or a super strong single piece shaft. its all about the frequency.. if you have a driveshaft with to low a resonant frequency it blows up at high rpm. only way to get a single piece shaft to have high speed is to make it carbon fiber. else, you need two smaller shafts to keep the frequency high. the shaft spins directly proportional to the rear end so if you like to use 6th gear to get top speed with a real short rear end gear like a 4.56 then your shaft will be about 10,000 rpm and it will go boom unless its very stiff carbon fiber, or alternately thick walled steel tube but that gets so heavy the frequency still goes too low.

Users who are viewing this thread