Floating Valves

Reallyslow5oh

Established Member
I was just wanted to see if this was true or not, but can you float the valves if you run just a header mid pipe exhaust? Only reason I ask is because while I was driving to work and the mid pipe and over axle pipe seperated. I've heard that running an open mid pipe will cause the valves to float so i just wanted to make sure whether or not i could drive it home or had to fix it at work.

Last edited:

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
valve float versus valve melting

Ok valve float is referred to when you are at high rpm and the exhaust and intake valves are moving so fast that they stay open rather then opening and closing if that makes sense. The cure for that are usually stronger springs. Open exhaust shouldn't hurt your cars exhaust valves as long as you don't leave it that way. I have had friends that were obnoxious and ran open headers during the middle of winter and they burned an exhaust valve because of the temperature difference. When you introduce extreme cold to an extreme hot surface shit happens. So I think in your situation you should be good. Also not saying that you are doing this but for any one else that is wonder the question. There is no gain to running open headers unless you have a full race car. You loose back pressure (street cars need back pressure) and it is just a dbag thing to do unless you are running a straight up race car. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread