follow up on 12mm front IRS bolts

03snake03

Established Member
I submitted a post the other day asking about which bolts are the possible 12mm bolts and I was told it was the front part of the IRS. I just install my catback and I got a good look at the bolt. Is there any way to visually look and tell that they are 12mm vs. 14mm? I did see a number on them 10.9. Does that mean anything?

:shrug:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
03snake03 said:
I submitted a post the other day asking about which bolts are the possible 12mm bolts and I was told it was the front part of the IRS. I just install my catback and I got a good look at the bolt. Is there any way to visually look and tell that they are 12mm vs. 14mm? I did see a number on them 10.9. Does that mean anything?

:shrug:

Thats the "grade" of the bolts... like the strength rating.

Youd probably need to get a socket around the head to be sure.

04torchred

Established Member
Is it fairly easy to replace the 12mm for 14mm? I will be installing a catback soon and wouldn't mind changing these out if they are not too much trouble.

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
Well, if you're just interested in swapping the bolts with a bushing change, then I would say that it would be done quite easily. However, when you remove the bolts (front IRS), you will have to wrestle the new ones back in. Once removed, there will be movement causing the holes to shift and in order for the new ones to go back in, you have to line it up just right - this could take some time or not.

Use an impact to make the removal/reinstallation process easy, otherwise warm-up your arms and shoulders for some wrenching!

You'll use an 18mm socket to remove the ones in there now(most likely 12mm). If you get the Steeda version (this is the full bushing kit though) the bolt size will be 7/8 or 22mm (head size - it's a 14mm bolt). I would assume that MM or other brand 14mm replacement bolts will carry the same head size.

It's a completely different story if you ARE changing the bushings... you'll have to drop the entire assembly - just did this over the weekend and won't be doing it again forever!

Good luck
Christian

04torchred said:
Is it fairly easy to replace the 12mm for 14mm? I will be installing a catback soon and wouldn't mind changing these out if they are not too much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread