forced induction opinions

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
I have a 01 cobra (currently have 307rwhp and 304rwtq) and I want at a minimum 400 rwhp and 400 rwtq, what is the most reliable blower? Would 5-6 psi and a good tune be safe without upgrading the stock internals and get me to the 400 mark? Also, if I put a blower on the car, would I have to take off the steeda U/D pullies?

JC

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Yes you would have to loose your pulleys but trust me...IT'S WORTH IT. Not like you'd notice anyways. 5-6 psi would be VERY safe. You'd be fine with 8-10 actually. Blower reliability is only as reliable as the person who owns it. If you don't maintain your car and routinely check things then you'd be asking for trouble. It also depends on how hard you drive the car. That said, my Vortech has been fine for me. I'm sure if I had a different brand then that one would be fine too. It's all in how you take care of things.

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
What kind of price you looking at? You can always run a turbo system also and not have to worrie about pullie's or anything else like that. That 5-6# of boost will get you more power any day of the week then a supercharger will. However you said you still have stock bottom end, I think as long as you keep a safe tune and run no more then 8-10# you will be fine. Always remember boost is not boost when it comes to turbo's and suprchargers. If you like I can give you some #'s to people for a turbo kit for your Cobra, or anyone else that would like them.:beer:

juicedgt02

Established Member
saleen s351 I will take some info/#s as my brother is looking, well actually waiting for his series 4 blower from saleen and its been almost 6 weeks and he is getting fed up, so he is looking for something else, please help. He has a 2001 s281:coolman:

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Originally posted by juicedgt02
saleen s351 I will take some info/#s as my brother is looking, well actually waiting for his series 4 blower from saleen and its been almost 6 weeks and he is getting fed up, so he is looking for something else, please help. He has a 2001 s281:coolman:

Depending on witch way he wants to go, I have some different ways/people he cant talk to. If he possiably wants to be a Donor car program he can get a kit for cheaper. But the only thing is he would have to ship or drive his car to the shop. Or if he wants a kit ready to bolt on/installed, he can call Brad at Turbolocity and that # is 1-217-443-1984. And the # to Cartech for a (possibly) Donor car program is 210-333-1642 Ask for Preston...let them know when you talk to either one, tell them John with the Saleen sent you. :coolman:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by SALEEN S-351
... That 5-6# of boost will get you more power any day of the week then a supercharger will...

The HP isn't that big of a difference. The torque is the HUGE difference. I mean the turbo makes gobs of torque throught the range. I'm like you though, nothing beats turbo boost!

If you add a Vortech/ATI/Paxton @ around 8PSI you'll have no problem making 400 + RWHP. Torque varies from car to car with mods and so forth, you should be close on the RWTQ though.

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
The HP isn't that big of a difference. The torque is the HUGE difference. I mean the turbo makes gobs of torque throught the range. I'm like you though, nothing beats turbo boost!

good point. but turbos will always be King!:)

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
saleen s-351 can you fill me in on any other information you might have relating to a donor/turbo setup please!! I am very interested in a RELIABLE turbo setup which everybody tells me is very hard to achieve but i think otherwise.......... oh yeah did i mention im short on cash! LOL

Thanks, Mike

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Originally posted by 01cobrakid
saleen s-351.......... oh yeah did i mention im short on cash! LOL

Thanks, Mike

ummmm turbo(s) and short on cash dont mix mate... The best thing I can tell you to do is call those numbers I listed up at the top and talk to them and see what they have to offer you.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
my advise is to go with nitrous...like a 100 shot. It is reliable enough for a stock block and will get you more than enuogh torque and close to the hp you want. plus it is a cheaper thing to initially get. NX makes a very nice kit. good luck!

mikew1000

Established Member
JC,

If you are considering the turbo option send me a PM and I can give you my home phone number. If you call me I can give you my experience with a turbo on the 01 Cobra. The good, the bad and the ugly:)

I had fun with a 94 or 95 Cobra with a Vortech (not sure about they year but he had a 5.0 motor). He was running 15psi of boost and I only had about 5-5.5psi at the time and I beat him in a race. I also had some fun with a stock 03 Cobra at around 8psi and walked him from 40mph.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
saleens-351 ive been calling cartech all day and cant get ahold of anyone? So i called ITS innovative turbo systems/turbo people and they said they would call me back with some more info and pricing. someone around my area told me about they're current donor program so i thought id give them a call and im still trying to get ahold of cartech.

Mike

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
W/ turbocharging, you have to have a cool-down period, not so w/ a supercharger :D BOTH power adders have their advantages :D

Regarding the main thought of this thread, would 6-8#s of boost be OK w/ a 302 w/ hyper. pistons w/ about 6k miles on a rebuild? Thanks

Not trying to jack your thread, I think it goes along the same "route" :D

89supernotch

Established Member
I am new to the board. My question is which company has a better blower setup, Paxton or Vortech. I am building a 393 stoker, Victor Jr. heads (70cc), TrickFlow intake, 80mm or 90mm massair, 70mm or 75mm TB, 48 or 60lbs injectors. Was told by the local machine shop that with the Paxton NOVI2000 setup, i could easily get 750 or more hp. The Paxton setup runs around $3500, the Vortech is around $2500. what is the boards opinon?

Bostard

Established Member
You've heard the opinion that opinions are like a$$holes. It's just gonna depend on who you talk to. Paxton and Vortech both makes great SC's. So does Procharger. That being said, I'll say that Paxton is a great way to go. That's just because its what I have. It makes gobs of power, sounds bitchin, looks bitchin and it requires literally no maintenance. But then so does the Vortech. :)

I love the idea of the turbo too. My little SVO goes like a raped ape with the T3/T4 turbo. The only thing is that turbo sure requires alot more mod to install and is always more finicky than the SC.

Users who are viewing this thread