Ford Drops The Cobra Name?

trance_in_miami

Established Member

'' TheGT500Source.com has issued a release stating that the Cobra moniker will be dropped from the GT500 when it hits the streets, & that the next Cobra (geez, it's gonna be tough to stop saying that) will be named the "Mustang Shelby GT500".
Now, I'm a Cobra owner & I have to say, I'm sad to see the name get retired. I understand Ford doing this; the latest Mustang is ultra-retro, & they're going to ride the nostalgia wave until we're all sick of new/old cars. In the long run, heck yes, I still want one, though I'll always have a soft spot for the late-model Cobra. "

THATS IS JUST DUMB!. besides the bad looks now the old name to think of a dude with white hair :( Im getting tired of this FORD RETRO S H I T ! :bash: all i can hope is that by 08 they have a concept like model of the regular GT'

gonein60

Banned
Time to move on

I prefer Shelby GT500 :pepper: . The Cobra name and Cobra letters on the rear bumper are soooo cheesy. The Shelby GT500 ROCKS :beer: , and I can't wait to buy one. It's miles ahead of previous SVT Mustangs and looks way better too. It's time to let go of the old archaic 2004 and previous chasis, and embrace the new and much better looking 2005 mustang chasis :coolman: .

Terminator

Established Member
That's what it should of been to begin with!
The original moniker was too damn long!
Use the "Cobra" for a better overall performance pkg that SVT initially intended the Cobra to be, like the previous gen Cobra was. JMO :)

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
M/T early 05 article "A pricier version--as an SVT Cobra--was under consideration, which would've had an IRS and an even more powerful engine. But the business case was rejected by management as too rich for a Mustang." This was the one WE(svt customers) wanted all along. Are we not important to the plan for world domination anymore? JK Fact is until they figure out that people are buying other cars for a reason the enthusiast is off of FORDS vison map. And although it is only one month until the car is supposed to be shown, I am dealing in advance with dissapointment. I would love to be surprised on this Ford.... please. :shrug:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
If Ford doesn't go belly-up...the Cobra WILL be back. Maybe it will be a lighter, more sophisticated SVT Mustang Cobra...or, maybe it's going to be the 2- seat Cobra Roadster Concept to compete with the Viper/C6 Z06. Regardless, the name's been in the family too long and it has too much brand recognition associated with it for them to shelve it.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
i was so bummed when i found out about john coletti's decision to leave svt. then theodore and others. i think something really bad is going on. of course you would never hear coletti bad mouth ford or anything like that- he's got too much class for that. but i would love to hear the REAL reason why he left. maybe the beancounters are pulling the plug on most of funding and support for their niche division. it seems that way, what with the "delay" of the lightning,fi focus,etc. dont hold your breath for any of these vehicles soon. time will tell i guess. i still have a deposit down though.

Milstang

Established Member
I've heard that the Cobra name will only be retired for two to three years. Until they do the run of Shelby's and then it will return. So I won't shed any tears, it is just a temporary thing and you can always buy an 03-04 and wait for the return of the Cobra if you don't want a Shelby.

:)

Black99GT

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
If Ford doesn't go belly-up...the Cobra WILL be back. Maybe it will be a lighter, more sophisticated SVT Mustang Cobra...
Lighter... lighter... this is what the new Mustang needs. The V6 and GT models haven't gotten too heavy, or not unreasonably heavy in my opinion, but the weights I've seen mentioned on this forum for the Shelby are outrageous. If what you're saying is true, I'd hate to see the cost.

John and Renae

Established Member
Think about it for a minute.

Do you think Coleti retired because he was done with making cars?

Personally, I believe there was some major infighting between the Shelby camp and the Colleti camp. Ford likely backed Shelby not Coletti. Coletti decided it was time to go or was given no other option but to retire...

Ford undoubtedly saw the opportunity to have the Shelby name back on a Mustang and took that route instead of keeping the SVT Cobra moniker on the new car.

I am not sure I can blame Ford for the obvious marketing advantages that has. However, if what I speculate is true, the tragedy for those of us who love Mustang is that Coletti is gone. This is the guy that is responsible for us driving rwd v-8 powered cars and not a bunch of fwd probes...In the anals of Mustang history and lore, if John Coletti's name is left out than that would be a ****ing tragedy...

Users who are viewing this thread