Ford GT sales down 40% in July

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
My local dealer pre-sold his for $225k last month. Unbelievable. Some people just 'gotta have it" and don't care re:price. Lucky them!

Anyway, my point is, that when you are only selling a couple hundred cars on any given month, a swing of 40-50 cars looks huge, but could be anything. Although I do believe that prices will come down, I wouldn't rely on 1 single month of reduced sales as an indication of any kind. My .02

Last edited:

00 Cobra R

Established Member
I was told that Ford could build up to 2999 cars without having to spend the money to crash test them. At 3000 units they're not specialty vehicles and they must adhere to normal manufacturer rules. If this is true, there won't be more than 2999 GT's built. Has anyone else heard this before? As a side note, my .02 worth is that once these cars are all allocated out the market will gain strength again but it will most likely never get where it once was. $180,000 to maybe $190,000 seems realistic once all are spoken for. Also the better equiped vehicles and less common colors should fair better than the others.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
00 Cobra R said:
I was told that Ford could build up to 2999 cars without having to spend the money to crash test them. At 3000 units they're not specialty vehicles and they must adhere to normal manufacturer rules.

Don't think so...otherwise there would be a lot more TVR's in this country. Doing the crash tests isn't what matters...whether or not they will pass gov't standards does.

Another easy way to find out is looking into whether or not they crash tested your username.

fordification

Established Member
is there 1 or 2 more years of production?

values are unsteady during production, but once it runs out, it can only go one way.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
fordification said:
is there 1 or 2 more years of production?

values are unsteady during production, but once it runs out, it can only go one way.

One. August 06 and it's over...

00 Cobra R

Established Member
I'm feel safe saying that the Cobra R didn't have to crash test due the fact that the normal mustang had been tested. Not sure but it makes sense. The rumor to us (Ford dealers) is that when the 06 GT is finished that portion of Fords production will go to another type of special car. My guess, although just opinion, is the Shelby SR 1 that has been shown around the car shows. It has good hp and styling as well as somewhat cheaper than a GT. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll ask around the Ford watercooler and if I find anything out I'll post what I find........Mike

00 Cobra R

Established Member
Ford told us they were not going to build the GR1 also but they have continued to show it to us and the public and play it up. They have told us that there is another car coming behind the GT that will be exciting and I haven't seen any other cars other than the Mustang GT 500 that Shelby is working on. The Shelby mustang is not enough different to dedicate a plant too. I think the GR1 will show up in some form or fashion in the future. It has gotten too many good reviews. The Shelby AC Cobra 9 (2 seater) has been put on the back burner and brought back twice but for now is not a go ...........Mike

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
00 Cobra R said:
Ford told us they were not going to build the GR1 also but they have continued to show it to us and the public and play it up...

Honestly, I don't see the prospects for that car as anything but very, very bad, which is a shame. If the GT program hadn't been so problematic, the case would have been much easier to make. Alas, at the present time, Martens has said it's not going to happen.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DBK said:
Honestly, I don't see the prospects for that car as anything but very, very bad, which is a shame. If the GT program hadn't been so problematic, the case would have been much easier to make. Alas, at the present time, Martens has said it's not going to happen.

I agree, I think Ford will stop with the high end sports car building with the GT. They learned their learn so to speak, how difficult and expensive for a really large company to build a really high priced low volume car. With the current situation concerning U.S. automobile sales it would probably be more wise to invest those resources inot their main stream car lineup. Stick with the 'stang, it's a can't miss formula

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I agree, I think Ford will stop with the high end sports car building with the GT. They learned their learn so to speak, how difficult and expensive for a really large company to build a really high priced low volume car. With the current situation concerning U.S. automobile sales it would probably be more wise to invest those resources inot their main stream car lineup. Stick with the 'stang, it's a can't miss formula
Make that Dealers who want to sell....

Users who are viewing this thread