Ford thinks it is great to have problem of dealers charging more!

magred

Established Member
I hope this isn't a dupe or anything. I hate seeing dealers getting greedy. To me it just helps drive your customers away. You would think with Ford and GM in such bad trouble that they would want to increase their customer base versus alienating them. I know that the dealers can charge whatever they want but from a business stand point I would rather have repeat business than making that killing on a loyal brand lover. Anyway, I can't wait to see these beasts on the street. I am very impressed with these GT-500s.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060516/FREE/60515006/1041/TOC01ARCHIVE

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i,m not impressed enough to pay over msrp for one. they will come down in a few months. always happens.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Well it gets more publicity for the car & the company, more hype, more excitement (if you're not one of us stangers trying to buy anyway), so I guess they don't mind it at all. It got that article written ... any news they can get that doesn't involve a recall is good, especially when it invloves what'll be an icon car for Ford.

mrGT

Established Member
Ford isn't concerned with dealers selling above sticker.
I wished they were, but I understand the thought process. In a greedy sort of way, people willing to pay over MSRP shows Ford Execs that the car is in very high demand and is drawing a lot of attention. To these execs, this shows success and is exactly what they wanted to see as opposed to having no one interested and the car looking like a flop...for you old timers, think Edsel. Deep down you know these Ford people know that this is a short lived feeding frenzy and that by this time time next year the Shelby will be just another car like the Vette or Viper. Now is Ford's time to have the lime light, good or bad depending on the observer, and Ford is excited about it.

As for the dealers, I think the oil companies are much more greedy...everyone needs gasoline, not everyone needs or wants a Shelby. We all still line up at the pumps to take the beating, whether we like it or not.

jshen

Established Member
mrGT said:
We all still line up at the pumps to take the beating, whether we like it or not.

That is precisely why the govt needs to intercede here...We have no choice..gas or gas..at whatever price they charge....Or walk to work. Oil companies are operating like a monopoly..Those who paid 40-50K on an SUV can't just go get a VW bug..

On the otherhand...Ford AINT doing well within the US..and this Shelby and their pricing won't effect their bottom line one way or another as they're not making many..but will effect whether I buy one.

Last edited:

rocksL

Established Member
jshen said:
That is precisely why the govt needs to intercede here...We have no choice..gas or gas..at whatever price they charge....Or walk to work. Oil companies are operating like a monopoly..Those who paid 40-50K on an SUV can't just go get a VW bug..

On the otherhand...Ford AINT doing well within the US..and this Shelby and their pricing won't effect their bottom line one way or another as they're not making many..but will effect whether I buy one.

Market is what it is for a Shelby and it sucks to watch dealers burn long time customers over a short sighted profit... not all dealers are that way though as I know of a couple that are taking care of repeat customers with more reasonable ADM's than I've seen thrown around. - I'm sure they'll be rewarded next time their customers look for a new ride.

...but gas on the other hand.. Who would fire up a daily beater car to head to work in traffic with a bolt on system like this www.greasecar.com ??

If enough thinking and innovation went into it ideas like these, we'd actually have a choice at the pump for daily beaters and potentially some additional cash in the pocket for some mods...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
that didnt say anything about ford supporting the fact that the dealers are charging more, it just said that they are happy to see it. and it is very well understandable too since, like mrGT said, it means the car is a success and not a failure.

1 BULLITT

SVT Rocks
Established Member
... Frank Rodriguez, dealer principal of Greenway Ford in Orlando, Fla., is taking the opposite approach. Rodriguez says he is refusing deposits. He says that when the Ford GT debuted, customers were angry because they didn't get the car at the time it was promised.

Still, Rodriguez, who was chairman of the Ford dealer council in 2004, says that when cars come in, he expects to charge "whatever the market will bear."

What a bunch of prostitutes. No loyalty whatsoever, then they wonder why they are in the shape they are in.

Stangmike

It looks mantastic
Established Member
if someone wants to pay that much over the msrp. Then why wouldn't the dealer take it. The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. So, if someone wants to pay $100,000 for a gt500 then let them.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Stangmike said:
if someone wants to pay that much over the msrp. Then why wouldn't the dealer take it. The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. So, if someone wants to pay $100,000 for a gt500 then let them.
Agree ^^^
While on that subject, If any person on this board were selling their car and it books for say, $28,000, but that particular car is a little hard to find at the time. I don't think there's a single person who'd turn down an offer for $38k or higher. Yet, a lot of people in this forum thinks it's pure greed for dealers to be sellling cars with a markup because that's what the market is calling for right now.

So, is one more right than the other?

If for some reason Mineral Grey '03 cobras became rare and people couldn't get enough of them and were actually paying $38,000 for them...My '03 would be for sale in a matter of minutes. Is that me being greedy? Maybe, but I think that's part of human nature (conditioned). Our entire lives are based on money. It's how we live and why we work. Any opportunity to increase our financial situation we take, even in business. It's a rare person who doesn't.

Nearly everything we pay for was priced based on demand. Anyone who has bought a house, sold a house, or in the reality business knows ALL about that. I don't see any threads bitching about the greedy bastards trying to make money on fancy new 5,000 sq ft homes because that's what they're selling for in that area. Or, has anyone been called greedy because the house they just sold they made $50,000 from equity because of market demand. Anyway, I think you see my point.

At this point I'm pretty neutral on the whole markup thing.

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
jshen said:

it's also worth noting that the dealer charging over MSRP has nothing to do with ford financially, and little to do with them personally. ford considers the sale at invoice to dealers. ford can't tell dealers they can't charge over MSRP if demand is there, just like they can't tell them to charge under MSRP if demand isn't there. all they can do.. is suggest the retail price

awatters

Established Member
Hmmm, doesn't Saturn control how much is charged for their cars at their dealerships?

2KSVT

Established Member
awatters said:
Hmmm, doesn't Saturn control how much is charged for their cars at their dealerships?

Yup... but you pay a fixed price. No haggling. Price on the window is the price you pay. I guarantee 95% of the people screaming about the markup on the Shelby loves going into the dealer and getting that F-Series truck or a Taurus for the old lady at $300 below invoice. So if you cap the price on the top end, say buh-bye to your days of beating Joe Salesman up over a couple hundred bucks on your daily commuter. Can't get it both ways...

Jpjr

Established Member
awatters said:

Try buying a Saturn Sky or ordering a Sky Red Line right now.

Saturn could make that claim before they finally started building a car people would pay extra for.. no different than anyone else.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Never pay over MSRP unless your filthy rich and can't wait!!! So don't go get a second on your house or hoe yourself out to some granda for one.

Tony Alonso

Established Member
Jpjr said:
Try buying a Saturn Sky or ordering a Sky Red Line right now.

Saturn could make that claim before they finally started building a car people would pay extra for.. no different than anyone else.

I talked to at least 1 dealer in my area who was taking only the MSRP. They are very hard to get...supposedly no more than 10,000 made for the 2007 year.

Users who are viewing this thread