Fox 5.0s with Auto?

Hitman 2k1

Established Member
Technically no. But I do know that some of those auto 5.0's out there are real slugs. It takes 4.10's the get the first gear feel of a 5 speed.

Bruno

Established Member
Unfort. I own a 91 5.0 with AT. and yes it is sluggish... any recomendations on what tranny to swap to? to try to keep things simple i guess i'll have to stay Auto instead of setting up for manual. Would the Mark VIII AT fit on the mustang?

:-?

wheelspin

Established Member
Just put stout gears in the rear, and get a bulletproof AOD. OR get shallow gears and run a c4, but you won't want to take it on the highway much...

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
AOD From '84-'93:

I used to toy around with an '89 GT AOD back in '92-'93, raced it for a couple of years.

The AOD.... bites. The tranny was designed for the Vic's to be smooth shifting and no real performance. It sucked up alot of hp.

Because of the internal design or the AOD, it is said that no matter what you do the AOD's 4th gear will not take much more than 400hp. The production AOD has a strange internal design and power flow that drives 1st and 2nd gears (and reverse) via the fluid coupling of the torque converter turbine, yet uses a second, smaller diameter shaft to drive both 3rd & OD directly off the converter front face, at crankshaft speed. In other words, both 3rd & 4th are in permanent lockup. This power flow makes the AOD's 3rd gear a weak link, particularily when hp levels rise.

The AOD has an absolute factroy maximum of 450hp.

Some options are:
• The Motorsport AOD wide-ratio upgrade kit that help make the tranny quicker (I don't believe any stronger though) and a higher capacity oil pan like found on the full-size Bronco.

• Another poplar upgrade was to get the "A" servo OD assembly from the Thunderbird SC, wich would give you a harder 3-4 shift.

• A 10-in. non-lockup converter

• A trans cooler

• Adding better fiction materials (clutches & bands)

• Improving oil circuits

• Synthetic tranny fluid

• A freebie trick was to raise the line pressure a bit for a firmer shift (poor man's shfit kit).

From the factory, the direct drum accepts 5 clutches/steels. B&M machines another groove another groove in the drum to accept an additional clutch/steel in their trannys.

Popular shit-kits and AOD upgrades were Bauman Enginering, and really popular was a Lentech shift kit... or they make a whole AOD ready to go I believe!
http://www.Lentechautomatics.com

I only got as far as putting gears in (3.73's... but AOD's need 4.10's!), synthetic fluid, and raised line pressure. I wanted do rip the whole tranny appart and do it right, but it was the g/f's (at the time) GT and we split up... and then it was sold.

'Nuff info for ya'? :)
~ Tim ~

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Re: AOD From '84-'93:

Originally posted by SVT X 2
I used to toy around with an '89 GT AOD back in '92-'93, raced it for a couple of years.

The AOD.... bites. The tranny was designed for the Vic's to be smooth shifting and no real performance. It sucked up alot of hp.

Because of the internal design or the AOD, it is said that no matter what you do the AOD's 4th gear will not take much more than 400hp. The production AOD has a strange internal design and power flow that drives 1st and 2nd gears (and reverse) via the fluid coupling of the torque converter turbine, yet uses a second, smaller diameter shaft to drive both 3rd & OD directly off the converter front face, at crankshaft speed. In other words, both 3rd & 4th are in permanent lockup. This power flow makes the AOD's 3rd gear a weak link, particularily when hp levels rise.

The AOD has an absolute factroy maximum of 450hp.

Some options are:
• The Motorsport AOD wide-ratio upgrade kit that help make the tranny quicker (I don't believe any stronger though) and a higher capacity oil pan like found on the full-size Bronco.

• Another poplar upgrade was to get the "A" servo OD assembly from the Thunderbird SC, wich would give you a harder 3-4 shift.

• A 10-in. non-lockup converter

• A trans cooler

• Adding better fiction materials (clutches & bands)

• Improving oil circuits

• Synthetic tranny fluid

• A freebie trick was to raise the line pressure a bit for a firmer shift (poor man's shfit kit).

From the factory, the direct drum accepts 5 clutches/steels. B&M machines another groove another groove in the drum to accept an additional clutch/steel in their trannys.

Popular shit-kits and AOD upgrades were Bauman Enginering, and really popular was a Lentech shift kit... or they make a whole AOD ready to go I believe!
http://www.Lentechautomatics.com

I only got as far as putting gears in (3.73's... but AOD's need 4.10's!), synthetic fluid, and raised line pressure. I wanted do rip the whole tranny appart and do it right, but it was the g/f's (at the time) GT and we split up... and then it was sold.

'Nuff info for ya'? :)
~ Tim ~

I think my mellon just went into overload. ;-) :lol1:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
You can build an AOD to w/stand 700+hp. I have an AOD, but I don't have 700hp. . .yet! :D I just had it rebuilt. Just never get on it in [OD] and you'll be OK (i.e.-just drive in [D], then when you get on the highway and don't have to stop much, put it in OD if you want) I have 3.73 gears and my car is stout. It chirps gears (if I don't have DragRadials on). I like it. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread