Front splitter/ bumper reimforcements

Terry Moenich

Established Member
What needs to be done to the splitter so I can leave it on at RA
Seems like a waist to have it and not use it. anyone have photos of the mod?

I have traded e-mails with some of you on this topic, but suffer a computer failure and lost everything.

Now its up and running strong(the computer)

I ordered the diff cooler from Kenny Brown, should have it next week.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
So if I understand the concept. The cover tends to fold in toward the core support. This stops that movement, correct?

Once thisis accomplished is there anything else about the the splitter I should know about?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
So if I understand the concept. The cover tends to fold in toward the core support. This stops that movement, correct?

Once thisis accomplished is there anything else about the the splitter I should know about?

Terry,
Actually no, The problem is that the front fascia isn't supported well enough. If you grab on and lift the front bumper cover and wiggle it up and down you will see the problem. When you get up over 130 mph or so, the front splitter will cause the whole front assy to shudder up and down, eventually breaking the front facia supports. This has happend to Kevin, he had to replace that front support.

Kevin had a support built and installed behind the cover to give the additional support. He says his works fine, and like I said above is probly the better way to cure the problem.

I removed the four plastic push in clips (two by the headlights and to underneath the fascia) and replaced them with bolts that hold everything tight. I then made the bracket you see in the pictures to give additional support to it. My setup works fine, but I did still experience a little shudder at RA last spring on the front stait away when we were heading into a headwind.

Hope this helps, Brian

kevin

terry,
to add my 2 cents.

the front fascia is the standard mustang front end and support.

the problem arises when the splitter is attached and, over about 130 mph, actually works to create the down force you want to maintain front end stability. unfortuantly the standard front fascia support is inadequate to support this additional down force.

when you look at how the splitter is attached, you'll see it's simply attached to the fascia and nothing more. hence the strengthing of the fascia attachment supports.

hope this posts from brian and i help.

with my fix i've no longer experienced the front end shake i had b4.

JoeJ

Established Member
Support

Terry,

I would recommend that you that the car to Kenny Bumberas and let him do the support. He did both Kevins and my car. It completely eliminated the problem with the hood vibrating about 140 mph.

Give me a call sometime and we can visit about the various modifications that I have done to the car.

Later,

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, now I understand the issue. I have
a mig and tig welder and full machine shop at my disposal, I now can fabricate what I need. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread