Front Suspension Shop

einehund

Established Member
So I am now on my third set of front tires in 2 years. The inside edges keep cupping; I had inside edge wear, and I could deal with that, but the cupping shakes the steering wheel HARD and I'm not trying to get muscle failure every time it happens. The shaking only gets bad while braking and at higher speeds (when the front is loaded up more). It isn't the brakes as I have replaced the rotors and had the runout checked. I replaced the front struts with new Roush struts, and did the hats at the same time, using the Ford Performance hats. I am really thinking there has to be a worn bushing in the A-arms, but I've had the car up on stands and was playing and prying the front suspension to see if there was slop anywhere and I couldn't find it.

I have come to the conclusion : F it and just get a tubular K-member, A-arms, sway bar bushings, end-links and anything already not replaced, and essentially just have a new front suspension, because replacing tires isn't cheap and the car isn't fun to drive with cupped tires.

I am leaning towards BMR's tubular set up, as I have their rear LCA's and have had no issues in 10 years with them. Any other suggestions?

Are there any recommendations for suspension shops near Saint Louis that could take care of this? I don't want to take it to Midas! I would do it myself but I just started a new job and work quite a bit more than I used to and don't have the time to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Seek out someone like myself who has the capabilties with a Ford VCMM to do a NVH vibration analysis to uncover your issues with your front suspension. If I was closer to you it would be my pleasure to help. Here is a video from You Tube how it works. Ive used it several times for customers and saved them $$$$. Any ford dealership should be capable to help you with this NVH issue. If this doesnt seem like a good option for you and you want to rebuild your front suspension a near OEM K member option that you might want to consider is in the link below. BMR would be at the top of my list as well.

Here are also the 3 main causes of tire cupping:

• Misaligned Tires: If the tires have too much misalignment in the wheels compared with the factory alignment specifications, the motion of the vehicle can cause uneven strain on the tire.
  • Worn Suspension and Shocks/Struts: Your shocks/struts and the springs work together to absorb road imperfections by controlling how each wheel reacts to a bump. If this system isn’t working properly, that wheel/tire of the vehicle can bounce more than was designed and can be a cause of the cupping.
  • Unbalanced Tires or Bent Wheels: If your tire is out of balance or a wheel is bent, the centrifugal forces involved in spinning an unbalanced wheel can bounce the tire enough to lead to cupping, over time.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Website:https: Lightning Fast Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
I agree with MM, but as i think the A-arm bushings are a contributing culprit to the tire wear, i want to replace those as well. I'm really leaning to just ordering everything for the front end from BMR.

Thanks @Vinnie_B , as i had a slight bend in one of the front wheels that i had repaired and to know that may have caused the issue does help my peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread