Funny Dealer Story, I'm still laughing

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I bought a commuter car, BMW 330 convertible from a local Ford dealership used lot, Koons. I went back to my hard tags, while the guy's installing my tags, I over hear...

Obviously the owner and a sales guy at the counter with me, the sales guy gives him a sheet & says "it's $46K", "it'll be here on 3/19".

I then hear the word Shelby (as some of you know I'm also a big stang banger, 2 vipers, but 5 stangs), and the owner dude says, call when it comes before you put it on the floor so I can take it out for a while. So when they pause I say, you got something special coming in?

Yep, it's the Shelby GT500, it's got the most hp of any car made, 500.
Really, I say, doesn't the Z06 and SRT Viper have that? No, they're like 460hp or something, plus the GT500 is much lighter than the Viper & the Vette so it's no comparison.
Really, I say, so how much is the mustang? $60K.
Really, I say, sounds high for a mustang? Yea, well it lists for $46, but we can sell in one day for $60K.
Really ... oh, tags are on, gotta go.

For a spit second, at the start, I thought God was going to set me up for a blessing, stumble into a great deal on a GT500, I was ready to say, "yank those new tags off the BMW, let's talk", but then the guy opened his mouth & stupid fell out of it.

I've heard sales guys that are oblivious, but this guy & owner/manager were definitely hitting the crack pipe pretty hard.

There really should be some kind of test you need to pass before being allowed to talk about any of these great cars while posing as someone who's supposed to know something about cars.

I'll probably go back to check that beauty out, I didn't catch what color, but I've yet to see a production one in person, so at least that'll be cool.

Dave.

try03venom

Established Member
not surprised at all... most aren't car guys just professional liars that made a living out of it.:lol:

Klay

Established Member
try03venom said:
not surprised at all... most aren't car guys just professional liars that made a living out of it.:lol:

True but you would think they would know better than to claim that 500 hp is the most any car has and it is lighter than a vette or viper. Unless they are totally out of touch with performance cars, they are just plain stupid.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I once had a guy at the dealership tell me Ford wasn't calling the car a version of a GT500. I then asked him what it says on the striping that runs along the bottom of the car they have in the showroom. He paused for a minute and then said.....I still don't think that is what they are calling this car. Fortunately it wasn't a salesperson whom I was having this conversation with -LOL

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Koons Ford is a bunch of crooks! They don't know they're a$$es from their elbows regarding mustangs. They tried to pull that $hit with me when I was looking for an 03 Cobra. They wanted 25K over sticker! Told me it was a limited edition and would be worth twice its value in two years! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

NewFrance6

Established Member
It's the usual dealer lies. A dealership around here said Ford was making under 500 of them thus the name GT500 and that the car was an instant collector's.
I have to say that in person, the car was really impressive to me. The front end has a gret design to it and i like the hood a lot. I still have never sat in one (don't touch signs all around the car) but i'm really looking forward to trying one out in the future, hopefully....

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Yea, Koons is bad in my experience, if the BMW wasn't a steal I'd not have gone there. I had friend years ago almost buy a GT there, he called me on the phone to ask my advice on the deal, the price & the monthly payments didn't add-up right, he gave me the finance guy & I asked for the breakdown - they thru in some protection program crap, 21% (even though my friend qualified for special financing for new college grads), etc. What a crook, I told my friend to run for his life & not look back.

I've got 3/19 marked on my calendar though so I can go see it in person, that's something to look forward to, this time I'll try to go in my SRT Viper. LOL

Dave.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
NewFrance6 said:
It's the usual dealer lies. A dealership around here said Ford was making under 500 of them thus the name GT500 and that the car was an instant collector's.
I have to say that in person, the car was really impressive to me. The front end has a gret design to it and i like the hood a lot. I still have never sat in one (don't touch signs all around the car) but i'm really looking forward to trying one out in the future, hopefully....

LOL. You should have said if you can get one elsewhere would they buy it off you for $80,000. Only 500 made:nono: The sad thing is they will suck some people in using this mis-information.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Daffy said:
Yea, Koons is bad in my experience, if the BMW wasn't a steal I'd not have gone there. I had friend years ago almost buy a GT there, he called me on the phone to ask my advice on the deal, the price & the monthly payments didn't add-up right, he gave me the finance guy & I asked for the breakdown - they thru in some protection program crap, 21% (even though my friend qualified for special financing for new college grads), etc. What a crook, I told my friend to run for his life & not look back.

I've got 3/19 marked on my calendar though so I can go see it in person, that's something to look forward to, this time I'll try to go in my SRT Viper. LOL

Dave.

Dave,

Let me know when your in the Ellicott City area. I have a Shelby (white with blue stripes) you can check out.

Vic

mousetom78

Established Member
I am from Maryland here too. I am thinking about selling my GTO for a GT500. Any sugguestion where i can even find one at MSRP.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I couldn't find MSRP in MD, hec or anywhere else. The best i found was $5K markup at Miller Bros., but I just couldn't do it.

Dave.

chuckstang

Established Member
POINTCOVER said:
Dave,

Let me know when your in the Ellicott City area. I have a Shelby (white with blue stripes) you can check out.

Vic

Wow, I grew up in Ellicot City. I have not heard that in a long time

Users who are viewing this thread